Amidst an environment of severe competition, record sales realized in each business area; record net sales and other operating revenue for 5 consecutive fiscal years and record net income for 4 consecutive fiscal years -
Honda realized an all-time record for consolidated net sales and other operating revenue for the fiscal year due to increased sales in each business area. Operating income increased due to increased profit from higher revenue and cost reduction effects despite the negative effect from depreciation of the U.S. dollar, as well as an increase in selling, general and administrative (SG&A) expenses. Net income set an all-time record due in part to a large increase in equity in income of affiliates. Basic net income per common share also reached an all-time high.
The year-end dividend per common share rose by JPY 14 to JPY 37. Combined with the interim dividend of JPY 28, the total dividend to be paid for the entire fiscal year is JPY 65, an increase of JPY 23 compared to the previous fiscal year.
Results for Fiscal Year Ended March 31, 2005
(Honda's average rates: JPY 108 = U.S. dollar 1 JPY 135 = Euro 1)
|(*record high)||Yen ( billions )|
March 31, 2004
March 31, 2005
|Net sales and other operating revenue||8,162.6||8,650.1*||+ 487.5 (+ 6.0)|
|Operating income||600.1||630.9||+ 30.7 (+ 5.1)|
|Income before income taxes||641.9||656.8*||+ 14.8 (+ 2.3)|
|Equity in income of affiliates||75.1||96.0*||+ 20.9 (+27.8)|
|Net income||464.3||486.1*||+ 21.8 (+ 4.7)|
|Basic net income per Common share||JPY 486.91||JPY 520.68*||+ 33.77 (+ 6.9)|
- *Record unit sales for motorcycles, automobiles and power products (Totals include fully finished products made by Honda and its subsidiaries as well as unit sales of parts for local production at affiliates.)
Motorcycles: Approx. 10.482 million units (+13.9%); mainly due to an increase in sales in Asia led by Indonesia and India. (This does not include the approximately 1 million motorcycles with local procurement rates of 100% which are produced and sold by affiliates in China and India.)
Automobiles: Approx. 3.242 million units (+8.7%); the increase was mainly due to an increase in sales in China, Indonesia and other parts of Asia as well as Europe and North America.
Power Products: Approx. 5.30 million units (+5.0%); the increase was due primarily to increased sales in North America and Asia.
- *Consolidated net sales and other operating revenue rose to a record of JPY 8,650.1 billion (+6.0%) due to an increase in overseas sales notwithstanding a negative impact from currency translation effects. (If the exchange rate from the previous fiscal year was applied, Honda estimates that an increase in revenue of approximately 8.8% would have been realized.
- *Operating income increased to JPY 630.9 billion (+5.1%) due to increased profit from increased revenues and cost reduction effects, notwithstanding negative currency effects of JPY -94.6 billion, and an increase in SG&A expenses.
- *Net income increased to a record JPY 486.1 billion (+4.7%) partly due to a large increase in equity in income of affiliates of JPY 20.9 billion (+27.8%).
- *Net sales and other operating revenue for the 4th quarter of the fiscal year was JPY 2,349.5 billion (+9.5%), an all-time record for any quarter. Operating income for the period was JPY 140.3 billion (+24.3%), income before income taxes was JPY 129.1 billion (+21.3 %), equity in income of affiliates was JPY 19.5 billion (+38.1%), and net income totaled JPY 94.0 billion (+26.9%). The basic net income per common share increased to JPY 101.43 (+29.3%).
Forecasts for Fiscal Year Ending March 31, 2006
A 6th consecutive all-time record is forecast for consolidated net sales and other operating revenue based on a unit sales plan of 10.295 million motorcycles, 3.415 million automobiles and 5.79 million power products. (Unit sales of motorcycles, with local procurement rates of 100% which are produced and sold by legal affiliates in China and India, are expected to increase by 2.4 million units to 3.4 million units, but are not included in the sales plan total.) The consolidated forecast for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2006 is as follows:
|(Honda's average rates : JPY 105 = U.S. dollar 1 JPY 135 = Euro 1)||Yen (billions)|
March 31, 2005
|Forecast for year
ending March 31, 2006
|Net sales and other operating revenue||8,650.1||9,300.0||+ 649.8 (+7.5)|
|Operating income||630.9||650.0||+ 19.0 (+3.0)|
|Income before income taxes||656.8||615.0||- 41.8 (-6.4)|
|Equity in income of affiliates||96.0||77.0||- 19.0 (-19.8)|
|Net income||486.1||450.0||- 36.1 (-7.4)|
Combined with an expected rise in the interim dividend by JPY 9 to JPY 37, the total dividend to be paid for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2006 is expected to be JPY 74.