TOKYO, Japan, February 8, 2018 – The TOMODACHI Initiative and Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced the establishment of the “TOMODACHI Honda Global Leadership Program,” which will be fully funded by Honda and scheduled to take place for three years, from 2018 to 2020.
This program was newly-established in light of the success of the “TOMODACHI Honda Cultural Exchange Program” which was conducted for three consecutive fiscal years (From April 2014 - March 2017), specifically targeting high school students from areas affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake, namely the Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures. Starting this year, participation will be open to high school students from all over Japan. The selected students will have the opportunity to travel for approximately two weeks to Torrance, California and Marysville, Ohio, home to Honda’s U.S. sales headquarters and engineering operations.
Developed based on Honda’s corporate slogan, “The Power of Dreams,” this program aims to provide experiential learning through which participating Japanese high school students, the next-generation of leaders, will develop global leadership skills and experience a cultural exchange between the United States and Japan. The purpose of this program is to enable the students to meet with people who take on challenges driven by their dreams and to experience corporate activities conducted by such people so that the students will learn how to put their dreams into action and grow further as next-generation leaders. The students also will have a chance to learn about American society and culture by interacting with local high school students and through the homestay experience.
Applications for participating in this program will be accepted as follows:
■TOMODACHI Honda Global Leadership Program Information
- Qualification Requirements: Students of Japanese nationality who will be enrolled in the first through third grades of a high school or 5-year technical junior college in Japan as of the departure date in August 2018.
- Number of Participants: Approximately 20 students
- Key Destinations: Torrance, California and Marysville, Ohio
- Program Dates:
1. Pre-departure Orientation: June 16, 2018 to June 17, 2018 (1 night, 2 days in Tokyo)
2. Program Period: August 15, 2018 to August 29, 2018 (Participants will meet at a hotel near Narita International Airport on August 15 and leave for the United States on August 17, 2018.)
- Application Deadline:
- Online application due on March 30, 2018
- Mailed application must be postmarked on or before March 28, 2018
- Participant Selection: Before May 20, 2018 (plan)
- Application Methods:
- Apply Online: http://www.laurasian.org/honda
- Apply by Mail: Download the application form the website http://www.laurasian.org/honda and mail to
TOMODACHI Honda Global Leadership Program
5-5-17 Shimomeguro, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-0064
About the TOMODACHI Initiative
The TOMODACHI Initiative is a public-private partnership between the U.S.-Japan Council and the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo, with support from the Government of Japan. Born out of support for Japan’s recovery from the Great East Japan Earthquake, TOMODACHI invests in the next generation of Japanese and American leaders through educational and cultural exchanges, as well as leadership programs. The initiative seeks to foster a “TOMODACHI Generation” of young American and Japanese leaders who are committed to and engaged in strengthening U.S.-Japan relations, appreciate each other’s countries and cultures, and possess the global skills and mindsets needed to contribute to and thrive in a more cooperative, prosperous, and secure world. Visit us at www.tomodachi.org
Please also visit, the Honda website introducing the TOMODACHI Honda Cultural Exchange Program: http://www.honda.co.jp/philanthropy/tomodachi/index.html
TOMODACHI Honda Cultural Exchange Program in 2017