TOKYO, Japan, July 21, 2015 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. announced it will commence lease sales of the Honda Walking Assist Device, an assistive device for use in the training of walking, to businesses in Japan. Lease sales are scheduled to begin in November 2015.
Striving to offer the joy of mobility to more people, Honda has been continuing the research and development of the Walking Assist Device since 1999 based on the theory of human walking Honda has amassed through research and development of ASIMO, Honda’s advanced humanoid robot. Since 2013, with the cooperation of approximately 50 hospitals and other facilities in Japan, a limited number of the Walking Assist Device have been used, enabling Honda to optimize the functions of the device.
Honda's Walking Assist Device has the functionality to guide the user to achieve efficient walking, based on the inverted pendulum model (bipedal walking theory), and is designed as a device to be used in the training of walking.
Honda Walking Assist Device
Honda Walking Assist Device in use
- Lease sales plan (in Japan/first year) : 450 units
- Lease price : 45,000 yen per month, 36-month lease contract (including the expenses of an annual periodic maintenance check and a training session for two trainees with the actual device)
- Key features of the Walking Assist Device:
- Compact size and lightweight were achieved with thin motors and a control system developed independently by Honda.
- Adoption of a simple belt-structure making it easier for the user to put it on and off.
- Adoption of size-adjustable frames making it possible for more people with various body sizes/types to use the Walking Assist Device.
- The Walking Assist Device features a measuring function which visualizes unique walking patterns and training status of each user on a tablet–type information device.
- Three training modes are available:
- 1)Following mode: The Walking Assist Device influence the user’s walking motions based on the walking pattern of the user.
- 2)Symmetric mode: Based on the walking patterns of the user, the Walking Assist Device influences the user to achieve bilaterally symmetric motions such as bending and extending both legs.
- 3)Step mode: The Walking Assist Device influence the user’s steps repeatedly to recover the rocker functions* which enable the smooth shifting of weight.
- *Rocker functions are leg motions which enable smooth shifting of weight from heal to sole and sole to toe.
- Key specifications of the Walking Assist Device
|Overall width||Approx. 430mm - 495mm|
|Weight||Approx. 2.7kg (including battery)|
|Operating time per charge||Approximately 60 minutes|
|Battery||Lithium-ion battery, 22.2V-1Ah|
|Motor output||Maximum torque: 4N・m|
|Use environment||Indoor or outdoor (except when raining) on flat floor/ground|
|Appropriate temperature range for storage||Between -20℃ and 55℃|
|Appropriate temperature range for use||Between 10℃ and 30℃|
|Appropriate humidity range for use||Between 30% and 85%|