- January 26, 2011
Honda Soltec to Release New Enhanced Thin-film Solar Cell in 2011
January 26, 2011 - Honda Soltec Co., Ltd. will this year release a new thin-film solar cell with an even more compact design than the current model to allow efficient installation on a wide range of roof shapes. The module conversion efficiency*1 of the new solar cell module is expected to exceed 13.0%, ranking it among the world’s most efficient CIGS-based thin-film solar cells*２.
- Based on the following formula to calculate the efficiency of converting solar energy striking 1m2 of module surface into electricity:
Module nominal maximum output (W) × 100 Module area (m2) × 1000W/m2
- Solar cells consisting of a thin film made from a compound of copper, indium, gallium and selenium (CIGS)
[Key Features of the New Solar Cell]
- The performance of the photosensitive CIGS layer has been improved and the surface area of the surrounding frame and other non-photosensitive portions reduced, resulting in approx. 10% increase in module conversion efficiency compared to the current model. This results in more power generated from the same installed surface area.
- The new model is more compact, with only approx. two-third the module surface area of the current model, allowing it to be installed in limited space on a wide range of roof shapes. This will facilitate the efficient installation of more thin-film solar cells in a variety of locations.
The prototype manufactured using existing Honda Soltec equipment achieved a module conversion efficiency of 13.0%. Honda is working to further improve module conversion efficiency as it brings the product to market.
Honda's independently developed CIGS thin-film solar cells require little energy in the manufacturing process, further contributing to environmental preservation. Honda will continue to contribute to the preservation of the global environment by developing thin-film solar cells that respond to market needs, thereby promoting further widespread use.
|Prototype||Current Model (HEM130PCA)|
|Nominal maximum output per module (W)||89*||130*|
|External dimensions (mm)
width × length × height
|926 × 738 × 37||1,417 × 791 × 37|
|Module conversion efficiency||13.0%*||11.6%*|
|Nominal open circuit voltage (V)||190||280|
- These figures were measured by Honda under the conditions of AM1.5, solar radiation intensity of 1kW/m2, and module temperature of 25 degrees Celsius.
- Actual output will differ depending on solar radiation intensity, installation conditions (direction, angle, surrounding environment), geographical area, and temperature conditions.
- Prototype specifications may be different from the final product.