June 3, 2010 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has announced the release of the all-new BF115 (115PS) outboard engine, to debut on June 3 at Honda outboard engine dealers throughout Japan.
The all-new BF115 combines a 2.4-liter engine, the largest in its class*1, with the same BLAST*2 (Boosted Low Speed Torque) air/fuel ratio and ignition timing technology made popular in Honda's mid-to-large outboard engine series, to achieve prodigious acceleration along with outstanding torque characteristics over a wide range of engine speeds from low to high. The versatile BF115 can be used in a broad range of applications, from fishing boats to runabouts for leisure use.
A lean-burn system has also been added, boosting fuel economy by 20%*3 over the previous model*4 to deliver a combination of powerful acceleration and outstanding fuel economy. The BF115's battery charging performance, the best in its class*5, helps support the ever-increasing need for onboard device power.
- *1115PS class
- *2Honda's proprietary acceleration-enhancing technology, the BLAST system boosts torque during sudden acceleration by simultaneously optimizing the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing.
- *3Honda calculations, based on fuel consumption in EPA EM measurement mode
- *4Honda calculations, compared to previous BF115 model
- *5115PS class (Honda calculations)
BF115 4-stroke outboard engine
|●Combined annual sales target (Japan and international):||1,100 units|
|(Japan: 100 units; international: 1,000 units)|
|●Manufacturer's suggested retail price:||★indicates model shown in photo|
|BF115D LN||¥1,551,900 (¥1,478,000 before tax)||★
|BF115D XN||¥1,572,900 (¥1,498,000 before tax)|
|BF115D XCN||¥1,593,900 (¥1,518,000 before tax)|
Key Features of the BF115
- Acceleration and cruising performance
- Honda's proprietary acceleration-enhancing technology, BLAST, enhances acceleration performance through simultaneous, computer-controlled optimization of the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing.
- The DOHC 2.4-liter in-line 4-cylinder engine boasts the largest displacement in its class, ensuring torquey performance over a wide range of engine speeds and best-in-class top speed.
- A large-diameter propeller with outstanding propulsion efficiency is matched with a 2.14 reduction gear ratio to deliver high-thrust power.
- Fuel economy
- The BF115 employs an LAF sensor*6-equipped, PGM-FI*7 electronic fuel injection system to achieve lean-burn control*8 while cruising*9, delivering best-in-class*10 cruising fuel economy.
- *6The LAF (Linear Air-Fuel ratio) sensor determines the engine combustion air/fuel ratio based on oxygen and unburned-fuel densities in the exhaust gas, allowing precise optimization of air/fuel ratios.
- *7PGM-FI (Programmed Fuel Injection) is a Honda registered trademark.
- *8The mode in which lean-burn control is used during cruising to achieve higher fuel economy is referred to as ECOmo.
- *9'Cruising' refers to the operating speed range in which engine speed is maintained at approximately 50-80% of maximum rpm, with the throttle wide open.
- *10115PS class (Honda calculations)
- Exceptional usability
- The new belt-drive, high-capacity alternator achieves best-in-class*11 40-ampere battery charging capacity.
- Compliance with the NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association) 2000® Standard for Serial Data allows for use with a wide range of marine electronic devices.
- A trolling control switch, available as optional equipment, allows for 50 rpm-increment control in the 650-900 rpm range. A buzzer indicates changes in and out of trolling mode and incremental rpm adjustments.
- *11115PS class (Honda calculations)
- The BF115 is equipped with four warning lights, including an oil pressure alert, overheat alert, ACG warning, and PGM-FI electronic fuel injection system warning to detect any malfunction or irregularity and alert the operator.
- Easy maintenance
- A flush valve joint permits easy engine cleaning after use.
- A two-piece under-cover promotes greater ease of maintenance.
- The lightweight engine cover opens with a single lever for fast, easy removal.
- Environmental performance
- The BF115 displays outstanding environmental performance, surpassing US CARB*12 emissions standards*13 - the most stringent in the world. It also exceeds secondary restrictions on marine engine emissions established by the Japan Boating Industry Association by a significant margin.
- *12CARB: California Air Resources Board
- *13Top rating (3 stars) for FY2008 (current product)
- BF115 Specifications
|Environmental Conservation Organization Certification Number (issued in Japan)||21 Ocean No. 0002|
|Engine||Water-cooled, 4-stroke, inline 4-cylinder, vertical shaft, DOHC,4 valves per cylinder|
|Bore × Stroke (mm)||87×99|
|Rated Power [kW(PS)/rpm]||84.6(115)/5,250|
|Recommended rpm range||4,500-6,000|
|Cooling System||Water cooled (with thermostat)|
|Ignition System||Microcomputer-programmed battery ignition|
|Battery Charging Capacity||12V-40A|
|Exhaust System||Underwater (propeller boss discharge)|
|Overall Length (mm)||845|
|Overall Width (mm)||580|
|Overall Height (mm)||1,665||1,790|
|Transom Height (mm)||508||635|
|Dry Weight (kg, with propeller)||217||220||223|
- The propeller, remote control, gauges and other parts for the BF115 may be optional (sold separately).