TOKYO, Japan, February 5, 2009 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. announced today that the all-new Insight hybrid vehicle will go on sale in Japan on Friday, February 6, 2009. A five-door, five-passenger compact hatchback starting at an affordable ¥1,890,000*1, the Insight features a lightweight, compact hybrid system that combines exceptional fuel economy with fun-to-drive performance.
Designed to set the standard for compact cars for a new era, the Insight combines outstanding environmental performance with fun, responsive driving and efficient, versatile packaging. The all-new Honda Insight was developed with the goal to provide these attributes in a car that is affordable to more customers.
Offering customers exceptional fuel economy, the Insight features a newly developed hybrid system including a 1.3-liter i-VTEC engine and Honda’s proprietary Integrated Motor Assist (IMA). To further support fuel-efficient driving, the Insight features the Ecological Drive Assist System (Eco Assist) as standard equipment on all models.
- *The name Insight was chosen to denote that this new vehicle provides "insight" into a new era in which hybrid vehicles come within reach of most car buyers.
- *1Manufacturer’s suggested retail price including consumption tax for the G-type
<Exceptional Environmental Performance>
- Featuring a 1.3-liter i-VTEC engine and lightweight, compact Integrated Motor Assist (IMA), the Insight hybrid system offers exceptional fuel economy: 26 km/L in JC08 mode and 30 km/L in 10•15 mode.*2
- Designed to reduce air flow resistance and enhance fuel efficiency, the aerodynamic body achieves a world-leading coefficient of drag of 0.28.*3
- Standard on all models, the new Ecological Drive Assist System (Eco Assist) is designed to help drivers further enhance fuel efficiency.
<Efficient, Versatile Packaging>
- Packaging features a compact body, low vehicle height and a comfortable interior with superior utility.
- The rear cargo area is spacious and easy to use.
<Fun, Comfortable Driving>
- In the city and on the highway, the Insight offers fun, relaxed daily driving and a comfortable ride.
- Cost reduction was achieved through enhanced efficiency of the IMA system and the use of parts shared with other Honda automobiles.
- Increased efficiency of production processes was achieved.
- *2G-type and L-type
- *3Five-passenger production automobiles (Honda calculations)
|●Monthly sales target (Japan):||5,000 units
Manufacturer's suggested retail price
|Price (before tax)|
(Honda Multimatic S)
(Honda Multimatic S)
+ 7-speed mode
- Prices are for reference only and do not include insurance, taxes (except consumption tax), registration or other fees.
- In accordance with Japan's automobile recycling law, a separate recycling fee will be levied. The recycling fee includes a recycling deposit (to cover expenses required to recycle shredder dust, air bags and fluorocarbons, plus an information management fee) and a capital management charge.
- There is an additional charge of ¥31,500 (¥30,000 before consumption tax) for the Spectrum White Pearl and Premium Deep Violet Pearl body colors.
Body color/seat color combinations
Key Features of the Insight
- The athletic, aerodynamic exterior design reflects the responsive performance of the Insight.
- From the front, the Insight makes a strong impression with its wide, stable stance and evokes the design of Honda's flagship for environmental performance-the FCX Clarity fuel cell vehicle.
- The line traversing the middle of the body in a single motion emphasizes the low vehicle height, contributing to a sporty design.
- From the rear, the high tail adds to both the aerodynamic performance and the stylish look of the Insight.
- With its advanced, futuristic feel, the interior design makes driving fun while offering a comfortable environment for all occupants.
- The two-tiered instrument panel is divided vertically, allowing the driver to easily access important information at a glance.
- Further emphasizing the futuristic hybrid feel, the interior features elegantly contrasting colors, textures and materials.
Powertrain (Hybrid System)
- The Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) proprietary hybrid system offers exceptional fuel economy and extremely low emissions. The gasoline engine serves as the main power source while the electric motor provides additional power as needed.
- Offering both exceptional fuel efficiency and ample torque, the 1.3-liter i-VTEC engine features Variable Cylinder Management (VCM), which controls the idling of all cylinders. Along with exceptional fuel economy, the combination of engine and motor offers the consistent responsiveness and acceleration performance one might expect from a 1.5-liter engine.
- The ultra-thin DC brushless motor is approximately 22% thinner and approximately 15% lighter than previous-generation technology.*4
- Adjusting to driving conditions and battery charge level, the Power Control Unit (PCU) optimally controls the power assist and electrical regeneration functions of the electric motor.
- As compared to previous-generation technology, the modules of the high-output nickel metal hydride (Ni-MH) battery feature a 30% enhancement in both output and durability, allowing for a decrease from 11 modules to 7.*4 As a result, while providing ample output and capacity for the motor, the battery is approximately 31% more compact and approximately 35% lighter than previous-generation technology.*4
- Composed of the PCU and battery, the Intelligent Power Unit (IPU) is approximately 19% more compact and approximately 28% lighter than previous-generation technology,*4 allowing for placement of the IPU beneath the rear cargo area and more-efficient packaging overall.
- The compact, efficient, Honda Multimatic S continuously variable transmission (CVT) helps the Honda hybrid system produce even more torque and achieve even higher fuel efficiency. In off-the-line acceleration, the CVT engages at lower rpms, enhancing acceleration performance and fuel-efficiency at the same time.
- In braking, accelerating and cruising, the Insight optimizes the combination of engine valve operation and motor assist for precise energy management. As a result, the Insight offers both high fuel economy and fun driving in a wide variety of driving conditions. To further enhance fuel efficiency, the Insight can cruise on motor power alone at low speeds and features idle stop capability.
- *4As compared to the 2006 Civic Hybrid
Advanced Environmental Technologies
- To help Insight owners realize the full benefits of Honda hybrid technology, the new Ecological Drive Assist System (Eco Assist) is included as standard equipment on all models. Eco Assist combines multiple functions:
|ECON mode:||With the touch of a button, this function adjusts engine output, extends the duration of idle stop, increases regenerative recharging during deceleration and achieves energy-saving control of the air-conditioning unit. As a result, more fuel-efficient driving can be achieved.|
|Guidance function:||This function assesses acceleration and braking practices in real time, changing the speedometer background color to indicate the level of fuel-efficiency of the driving style. Drivers can achieve more fuel-efficient driving simply by referring to this intuitive color display.|
|Scoring function:||Located in the center of the instrument panel, the Multi-Information Display provides a scoring function, in which the number of 'leaves' displayed indicates the level of fuel-efficient driving performance. When the ignition is turned off, both a score for the latest driving cycle (startup to shutdown) and a score for cumulative lifetime performance are displayed. Since 'leaves' appear and 'grow' as driving practices become more fuel efficient, the scoring function encourages drivers to take interest in fuel efficiency and develop more fuel-efficient driving habits over the long term. With the available Honda HDD InterNavi System, a driver can access a full history of personal scoring function results and additional detailed scoring statistics. InterNavi customers may also access via the Internet a detailed fuel-efficiency assessment of their driving practices, a history of their fuel-efficiency scores, their ranking among subscribers throughout Japan and other information relevant to fuel-efficient driving.|
- The Insight boasts exceptional fuel economy of 26 km/L in JC08 mode and 30 km/L in 10•15 mode.*2
- All models are certified by Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism as complying with the 2005 -75% emissions standard.
- All models are certified by Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism as complying with the 2010 +25% fuel economy standard.
- All models comply with the 2015 fuel economy standard of Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism.*5
- *5A new fuel economy standard established under the Law Concerning the Rational Use of Energy.
- The Insight features a compact body with low overall height. At the same time, the packaging provides a spacious interior with a high level of utility.
- The generous wheelbase of 2,550 mm and tandem distance of 790 mm provide a comfortable space for five adults.
- The placement of the compact battery and PCU under the rear cargo area allows for up to 400L of cargo space.*6
- *6Honda calculations, VDA method
- The MacPherson strut front suspension and torsion beam rear suspension offer responsive handling and a comfortable ride.
- For the first time in a Honda hybrid automobile, the Insight LS is equipped with paddle shifters that allow the driver to enjoy sporty shifting and a manual transmission feel without taking hands off the steering wheel.
- The lightweight, aerodynamic body is compact with a low overall height.
- Thanks to the aerodynamic design and meticulous wind tunnel testing of all exterior parts as well as specially designed aerodynamic underbody parts, the Insight boasts a world-leading coefficient of drag (0.28*3) and outstanding overall aerodynamic performance.
- Unique to the Insight and designed to accommodate the IPU beneath the rear cargo area, the body features high rigidity in the rear frame and floor, contributing to safety and vehicle stability during cruising.
- With a 52% high-tensile steel content,*7 the frame is highly lightweight and rigid.
- A first for a Honda compact automobile, the windshield features reduced-infrared radiation blocking and sound-insulating functions. The cabin stays cooler in warm ambient temperatures, reducing the need for air-conditioning and enhancing energy efficiency.
- *7By-weight comparison
Enhanced Efficiency and Reduced Costs
- Honda has made each component of the hybrid system more compact and lightweight while combining functions where possible. In particular, the battery container contains 50% fewer parts than previous-generation technology.*4 As a result of these initiatives, Honda has achieved a dramatic reduction in overall hybrid system cost.
- In designing the Insight, Honda has carefully differentiated between parts that requiring a new design and parts also implemented in other vehicles. By concentrating resources on newly designed parts while implementing parts shared with other vehicles and rationalizing parts design, Honda has optimized affordability enhancing the value offered the customer.
- Honda has dedicated a new assembly line at its Suzuka Factory in Japan to the production of Insight IMA motors, significantly enhancing production efficiency, establishing a strong foundation for large-scale production and substantially reducing costs.
- The Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure enhances self-protection as well as mitigating damage to other vehicles in the event of a collision.
- Pedestrian-injury mitigation technology helps protect pedestrians from head, leg and other injuries in the event of a collision.
- Along with the front seat i-side airbag system, the side curtain airbag system helps reduce the risk of head injury in a side impact.
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA), which assists the driver in maintaining control during cornering, is standard equipment on the LS-type and available as a factory option on the G-type and L-type.
- Standard equipment on all models, the Active Head Restraint System in the front seats enhances neck and head protection in the event of a rear impact collision.