February 17, 2005—Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has announced the import of a new push lawnmower, the HRX537, manufactured by Honda Power Equipment Mfg., Inc. (North Carolina, USA; President: Yoshihiko Toyozumi), Honda’s power products manufacturing base in America. The new mower goes on sale February 17 at authorized Honda power products dealers throughout Japan.
The HRX537 is the first push lawnmower in Japan1 to offer four functions all in one: storage of grass clippings in a grass bag; rear discharge of grass clippings; mulching, in which grass clippings are finely chopped and returned to the lawn surface; and a leaf shredder, which cuts up fallen leaves. The mower is also equipped with a blade brake clutch, which stops the cutting blades without stopping the engine when the operator releases the cutting-blade lever, for operation that is both safe and convenient.
The HRX537 was released in North America as the HRX217 in March 2004. With total sales in the North American region of approximately 63,000 units1, it has fast become a popular favorite for its functionality and ease of operation. Its engine, the GCV190, is a Honda e-SPEC engine that delivers world-leading environmental performance, clearing U.S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) Phase 2 regulations, while featuring an impressive output of 6.5 horsepower—the highest in its class2.
1 According to Honda survey
2 According to Honda survey, motorized push lawnmower class
HRX537 American-made push lawnmower
|●||Annual sales target(Japan)||550 units|
|●||Manufacturer’s suggested retail price|
|HRX537||¥157,500 (¥150,000 before consumption tax)|
- Easy operation
- Japan’s first1 lawnmower to combine four functions in one:
- 1)During basic operation, grass clippings are collected in the grass bag.
- 2)Discharge: Grass clippings are discharged out the back of the mower.
- 3)Mulching2: Grass clippings are finely chopped and returned to the lawn surface.
- 4)Leaf shredder: Cuts up fallen leaves.
The operator can easily switch between the above four operating modes simply by using the clip director lever located on the mower to adjust the volume of clippings collected and removing the grass bag from its rear-mount position.
- The clip director lever can be adjusted to select bagging, mulching, or a combination of the two. This allows the operator to select the ratio of clippings to be bagged as the job requires, without the need for any bothersome attachments or blade changes.
- A high-strength plastic deck makes operation light and smooth.
- Twin cutting blades come as standard equipment, to deliver a superior cut and bagging performance at the top of its class3 (38%4 more clippings than the current model).
- The HST (Hydrostatic Transmission)5 allows the mower’s forward speed to be adjusted to suit mowing conditions.
- Seven cutting heights are available, from approx. 19mm to 100mm.
- Safety and convenience system
- The mower is equipped with a blade brake clutch (blade stop mechanism), which allows the operator to stop the blades without shutting off the engine, simply by releasing the cutting blade lever. The engine does not need to be stopped and restarted every time the grass bag is emptied.
- Outstanding economy and environmental performance
- The GCV190 Honda e-SPEC engine’s environmental performance clears the requirements of both U.S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) Phase 2 regulations and CARB (California Air Resources Board) Tier II regulations—the toughest in the world.
- 1.According to Honda survey
- 2.Mulching is more appropriate for some lawn types than others
- 3.According to Honda survey, motorized push lawnmower class
- 4.According to Honda survey. Model compared: HRB216
- 5.Hydraulic continuously variable transmission
|Length x Width x Height (mm)||1,825×585×1,115|
|Dry Weight (kg)||42.1|
|Fitted Weight (kg)||43.6|
|Engine||Air-cooled 4-stroke, single-cylinder OHC, vertical|
|Output/Engine Speed [kW(PS)/rpm]||4.8(6.5)/3600|
|Fuel||Automotive-grade unleaded gasoline|
|Fuel Tank Capacity (L)||1.1|
|Ignition System||Transistorized magneto|
|Transmission||Hydraulic, continuously variable|
|Speed(m/s)||0 ~ 1.75|
|Mowing Height Range(mm)||Approx. 19 to 100(7 settings)|
|Grass Bag Capacity (L)||88|
|Blade Brake System||Blade brake clutch|