|Tokyo, February 8, 2002 --- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today introduced the new 4-stroke marine outboard motor BF175. This extremely economical and reliable engine bolstered by Honda 4-stroke technology achieves environmentally friendly performance that exceeds the world's strictest emissions regulations established for 2008 by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in the U.S. The model will go on sale March 14 at dealers nationwide handling marine outboards.
BF175 was developed based on the 3.5-liter V-6 engine used in the Lagreat minivan. Featuring Honda technologies such as Programmed Fuel Injection, the model maintains smooth, even power output through the entire speed range. The low levels of vibration and noise are further dampened by the addition of a large capacity intake silencer, resulting in the quietest operating noise level in the class.
Styling for the BF175 takes advantage of the V-6 engine layout that strives for an image of advanced technology and high functionality. This design also makes the model easy to use in dual outboard configurations, and is in harmony with a variety of boat designs.
The BF175 will be exhibited at the Tokyo International Boat Show and Osaka International Boat Show.
|4-stroke Outboard motor BF175
Major features of the BF175
- V-6, 3.5-liter, 4-stroke engine has achieved engine performance approximately equal to that of a two-stroke engine.
- Excellent combustion efficiency through programmed fuel injection and highly precise air-fuel ratio control through an O2 feedback system, ensure improvements in fuel economy.
Good Environmental Performance <Honda e-SPEC product>
- In addition to exhaust emissions that are well below the levels required by both the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for 2006 and domestic Japanese voluntary controls, BF175 also exceeds the world's strictest emissions regulations established for 2008 by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
- The V-6 configuration combined with a large-capacity silencer ensures best-in-class quiet operation.
- A recyclability rate of 94% has been realized.(According to Honda measurement standards)
Lightweight & Compact
- The engine configuration has been designed to realize a slim overall form, easily installable even on boats designed for similarly classed two-strokes.
- The intake manifold and undercover made of lightweight plastic contribute to an overall reduction in weight.
- A battery charger to which various accessories can be attached offers a maximum capacity of 60A, the largest in the class. Over two times greater power than others in the same class is available at low revs. (45A at 1,000 rpm)
- Counter-rotation spec. established, ensuring stability in the event that two units are installed on a large-size boat.
(Type: XCN, production on order)
Durable & Reliable
- Oil pressure alert, overheat alert, rev. limiter, programmed fuel injection warning, ACG warning, and other alert functions ensure instant recognition of any malfunction or abnormal operation.
- Programmed fuel injection ensures reliable starting and stable idling.
Easy to Maintain
- The flush valve joint positioned near the front of the engine and other convenient design features allow easy maintenance from aboard the boat.
- The engine cover lock opens with a single lever, allowing fast, easy removal of the engine cover.
|Dimensions (L x W x H) (mm)
||920 x 625 x 1,670 (Type: LN)
|Transom Height (mm)
||LN: 508 XN: 635 XXN: 762
||4-stroke 60ºV-6 vertical shaft
|Bore x Stroke (mm)
||89 x 93
|Maximum Power Output [kW(PS)/rpm]
|Maximum torque [N·m(kgf·m)]
|Recommended Speed Range (rpm)
||5,000 - 6,000
|Idling Speed Range (rpm)
|Fuel Supply System
||Programmed Fuel Injection
||Unleaded gasoline for automobiles
||Liquid-cooled (with thermostat)
||Fully transistorized battery ignition
||Propeller boss exhaust
|Dry Weight (with propeller) (kg)