|Tokyo, October 9, 2001 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today introduced two new 4-stroke marine outboard engines. Both feature the extraordinary performance, efficiency and reliability of Honda 4-stroke technology and environmentally friendly performance that exceeds the world's strictest emissions regulations established for 2008 by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in the U.S. Both new models - the BF225 and BF200 - will go on sale November 28, 2001 in Japan, and in early 2002 in North America, Europe, Asia and Oceania.
Both the BF225 (225PS) and BF200 (200PS) are powered by an engine based on the 3.5-liter V-6 used in Honda's Lagreat minivan (called Odyssey in North America). Featuring Honda technologies like VTEC intake valve control (for BF225) and PGM-FI (Programmed Fuel Injection), both models maintain smooth, even power output through the entire speed range, while at the same time achieving fuel efficiency that is 10% better than similarly classed high-pressure, fuel-injected 2-stroke models. The lower levels of vibration and noise resulting from the V-6 format are further dampened by the addition of a large-capacity intake silencer, resulting in the quietest operating noise level in the class.
Styling for both the BF225 and BF200 takes advantage of the V-6 engine layout with a "wedge" form that strives for an image of advanced technology and high functionality. This design also makes each model easy to use in dual outboard configurations, and is in harmony with a variety of boat designs.
The introduction of the BF225 and BF200 brings Honda's outboard engine lineup to a total of fifteen models, delivering power outputs from 2PS to 225PS - and ideal for a wide range of river, lake, and ocean boating activities, from cruising to sport fishing and many other applications.
| BF255 4-stroke Outboard (225PS)
BF225/BF200 Primary Features
- The BF225's 3.5-liter 4-stroke V6 engine is the first in a marine outboard to use VTEC intake valve control technology, achieving excellent high power performance equivalent to that of similarly classed 2-strokes.
- Excellent combustion efficiency, through PGM-FI and highly precise air-fuel ratio control through an O2 feedback system, ensure fuel economy approximately 10% better than direct-injection 2-strokes.
Good Environmental Performance
- In addition to exhaust emissions that are well below the levels required by both the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for 2006 and domestic Japanese voluntary controls, both the BF225 and BF200 also exceed the 2008 standards established by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) -- the world's strictest environmental regulatory organization.
- The V-6 configuration combined with a large-capacity silencer ensures best-in-class quiet operation -- approximately 5db(A) less than comparable direct-injection 2-strokes.
Lightweight & Compact
- The engine configurations of both the BF225 and BF200 have been designed for slim overall form, easily installable even on boats designed for similarly classed 2-strokes.
- Intake manifold and undercover made of lightweight plastic resin contribute to overall lighter weight.
Durable & Reliable
- Oil pressure alert, overheat alert, over-rev limiter, PGM-FI warning, ACG warning, and other alert functions ensure instant recognition of any malfunction or abnormal operation.
- PGM-FI ensures reliable starting and stable idling.
Easy To Maintain
- A flush valve joint positioned near the front of the engine and other convenient design features allow easy maintenance from aboard the boat.
- Engine cover lock opens with a single lever, allowing fast, easy removal of the engine cover.
(This information is supplied for marketing purposes within Japan.)
|Dimensions (L x W x H)
||920 x 625 x 1,670mm (LN)
||LN: 508mm; XN: 635mm; XXN: 762mm
||4-stroke 60º V-6 vertical shaft
|Bore x Stroke
||89mm x 93mm
||4-valve OHC VTEC
|Maximum Power Output
|Recommended Speed Range
|Idling Speed Range
|Fuel Supply System
||Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
||Liquid-cooled (w/ thermostat)
||Full transistorized Battery Ignition
||Propeller boss exhaust
|Dry Weight (w/ propeller)