| Tokyo, October 18, 2001 --- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has announced a full model change for the popular Civic TYPE R, known for its high performance and sporty, dynamic design. The new model will go on sale December 6th at Honda Primo dealers throughout Japan.
The car's design concept was, "Civic TYPE R-the hatchback bullet." It's an exciting 3-door hatchback that boasts a powerful design with superior basic driving, cornering, and braking performance characteristics. The key aims for the car's development were to create a new, bullet-like form; deliver exciting performance; and make the car both safe and environmentally friendly.
The new Civic TYPE R comes equipped with 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine. Aspirating efficiency has been significantly improved, resulting in maximum power output of 158kW (215PS). The close-ratio, 6-speed manual transmission provides dynamic performance of a professional racer level, while at the same time delivering a comfortable driving feel on everyday roads.
The car also comes fully loaded with performance accessories, including aeroform bumpers, Recaro front bucket seats, a MOMO genuine-leather 3-spoke steering wheel, and a dash-mounted aluminum shift knob for the 6-speed manual transmission. As the ultimate performance model in the Civic series, this car lets its owner directly experience the joy of driving. At the same time, it is also very environmentally friendly, having earned recognition by the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport as an ultra-low emissions vehicle.
The all-new Civic TYPE R is produced in England by Honda of the U.K. Manufacturing (H.U.M.) for export to Japan --- a first for Honda.
|Civic TYPE R
New Civic TYPE R-Main Features
- The new Civic TYPE R features exciting hatchback styling with a new bullet-like form. The powerful bullet-shaped design gives it a lively, distinctive presence while at the same time maximizing its aerodynamic performance for outstanding driving stability during high-speed driving.
- Aeroform bumpers (front / rear), side garnish with integrated fender flares, integrated side sill garnish large tailgate spoiler, and other specialty parts and all standard equipment.
- Employs a high revving, high-output 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine that combines VTEC, which adjusts intake / exhaust valve timing and lift at high engine speeds, and VTC (Variable Timing Control), which continuously varies the intake valve timing phase in accordance with engine load. The result is a maximum power output of 158kW (215PS) and maximum torque of 202N/m (20.6kg/m).
- A short intake manifold with equal-length ducts is used to minimize the effect of intake gas inertia at high engine speeds.
- Exhaust gas back-pressure has also been reduced through the use of a dual exhaust manifold, large-diameter piping, and high-volume mufflers.
- High-rev-compatible connecting rods made of high-strength materials are combined with a super-rigid crankshaft.
- A newly developed, close-ratio 6-speed transmission makes effective use of the 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine's high-end power zone.
- Synchro-mesh cones in all gears (triple cones in 1st and 2nd; double cones in 3rd to 6th) ensure a reduced shift load. A short shift-stroke speeds up gear changes for a sporty shifting feel. There is also a control mechanism that closes the reverse-gear shift gate depending on vehicle speed, to guard against shifting errors.
- An ultra-light, forged chrome-molybdenum steel flywheel with 26% lower inertial mass than the one used in the previous TYPE R delivers sensitive engine response and sharp acceleration.
- A new clutch torsion mechanism reduces the extent to which engine-speed fluctuations are conveyed to the transmission.
- Features a torque-responsive, helical, limited-slip differential.
- To improve edge-of-the-envelope performance and responsiveness during spirited driving, the body employs high tensile-strength steel in approximately 60% of its structural frame members. The new frame body is lightweight and super rigid.
- The body has 20% higher bending and 80% higher torsional static rigidity than the previous TYPE R.
- Body rigidity has been further increased by employing a dash upper rod, front and rear strut tower bars, and performance rods to strengthen floor frame linkage and expand cross-sectional area throughout.
- Employs toe-control link strut suspension in the front and reactive-link double-wishbone suspension in the rear. This combines with the sharp steering feel of the VGR (variable gear ratio) and EPS (electric power steering) to attain a level of performance handling one would expect in a TYPE R.
- The suspension arm and hub bearing have been strengthened for higher road-contact rigidity, resulting in improved handling response and linearity.
- Tension angles in the rear suspension's upper and lower arms have been optimized. Hypothetical arm length has been extended, reducing change in the rear roll-center height during roll. The suspension is set to always maintain a front-down roll stance. This makes it easy for the driver to understand the car's behavior, for an improved sense of unity between man and machine.
- Employs torque-responsive helical limited-slip differential and 205/45R17 large-diameter tires. The front brakes incorporate 16-inch ventilated disks, with master power assembly, piston configuration, bands, and so on tuned to attain superb responsiveness with a minimum of brake pressure. This firm, responsive brake feel helps increase driving pleasure.
- Honda's original G-CON (G-force Control) technology is incorporated to create a new body with a crash safety design that is among the best in the world, withstanding a 55km/h full-frontal collision, a 64km/h front offset collision, 55km/h side collision, and a 50km/h rear collision.
- To further improve safety in real-world collisions, Honda has implemented its own vehicle-to-vehicle collision testing program with its own independently established standards*. This collision testing is much more demanding than the conventional tests in which the car is crashed into a fixed barrier. The Civic TYPE R's superior safety design meets even these stringent testing requirements.
- The number of body sections designed to reduce pedestrian injury has been increased to protect pedestrians' lower limbs as well as their heads.
- The interior is designed to protect occupants' heads in a collision.
- An SRS dual front airbag system is standard equipment.
- ISO FIX compatible child seat anchoring bars (left and right rear seats) are standard. Available as an optional attachment is an anchor plate to which a tether belt can be fastened to secure the upper portion of the child seat. This effectively prevents the seat from moving forward in an accident.
||Test involves a 50% front offset collision with a 2-tonne class vehicle, both vehicles traveling at 50km/h.
- Exhaust gas pollutants (HC, NOx) have been greatly reduced. The Civic TYPE R has been recognized by the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport as an ultra-low emissions vehicle, surpassing Ministry regulations for exhaust emissions by over 50%.
- Almost all molded interior parts are made using olefin, a material with superb recylability. In all, over 90%* of the entire vehicle is recyclable.
||According to Honda's own computational formula.