| Tokyo, October 18, 2001 ---
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has announced a full model change for the popular
Civic TYPE R, known for its high performance and sporty, dynamic design.
The new model will go on sale December 6th at Honda Primo dealers throughout
The car's design concept was, "Civic TYPE R-the hatchback bullet." It's
an exciting 3-door hatchback that boasts a powerful design with superior
basic driving, cornering, and braking performance characteristics. The key
aims for the car's development were to create a new, bullet-like form; deliver
exciting performance; and make the car both safe and environmentally friendly.
The new Civic TYPE R comes equipped with 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine. Aspirating efficiency has been
significantly improved, resulting in maximum power output of 158kW (215PS). The close-ratio, 6-speed manual
transmission provides dynamic performance of a professional racer level, while at the same time delivering a
comfortable driving feel on everyday roads.
The car also comes fully loaded with performance accessories, including
aeroform bumpers, Recaro front bucket seats, a MOMO genuine-leather 3-spoke
steering wheel, and a dash-mounted aluminum shift knob for the 6-speed manual
transmission. As the ultimate performance model in the Civic series, this
car lets its owner directly experience the joy of driving. At the same time,
it is also very environmentally friendly, having earned recognition by the
Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport as an ultra-low
The all-new Civic TYPE R is produced in England by Honda of the U.K. Manufacturing
(H.U.M.) for export to Japan --- a first for Honda.
|Civic TYPE R|
New Civic TYPE R-Main Features
- The new Civic TYPE R features exciting hatchback styling with a new
bullet-like form. The powerful bullet-shaped design gives it a lively,
distinctive presence while at the same time maximizing its aerodynamic
performance for outstanding driving stability during high-speed driving.
- Aeroform bumpers (front / rear), side garnish with integrated fender
flares, integrated side sill garnish large tailgate spoiler, and other
specialty parts and all standard equipment.
- Employs a high revving, high-output 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine that
combines VTEC, which adjusts intake / exhaust valve timing and lift
at high engine speeds, and VTC (Variable Timing Control), which continuously
varies the intake valve timing phase in accordance with engine load.
The result is a maximum power output of 158kW (215PS) and maximum torque
of 202N/m (20.6kg/m).
- A short intake manifold with equal-length ducts is used to minimize
the effect of intake gas inertia at high engine speeds.
- Exhaust gas back-pressure has also been reduced through the use of
a dual exhaust manifold, large-diameter piping, and high-volume mufflers.
- High-rev-compatible connecting rods made of high-strength materials
are combined with a super-rigid crankshaft.
- A newly developed, close-ratio 6-speed transmission makes effective
use of the 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC engine's high-end power zone.
- Synchro-mesh cones in all gears (triple cones in 1st and 2nd; double
cones in 3rd to 6th) ensure a reduced shift load. A short shift-stroke
speeds up gear changes for a sporty shifting feel. There is also a control
mechanism that closes the reverse-gear shift gate depending on vehicle
speed, to guard against shifting errors.
- An ultra-light, forged chrome-molybdenum steel flywheel with 26% lower
inertial mass than the one used in the previous TYPE R delivers sensitive
engine response and sharp acceleration.
- A new clutch torsion mechanism reduces the extent to which engine-speed
fluctuations are conveyed to the transmission.
- Features a torque-responsive, helical, limited-slip differential.
- To improve edge-of-the-envelope performance and responsiveness during
spirited driving, the body employs high tensile-strength steel in approximately
60% of its structural frame members. The new frame body is lightweight
and super rigid.
- The body has 20% higher bending and 80% higher torsional static rigidity
than the previous TYPE R.
- Body rigidity has been further increased by employing a dash upper
rod, front and rear strut tower bars, and performance rods to strengthen
floor frame linkage and expand cross-sectional area throughout.
- Employs toe-control link strut suspension in the front and reactive-link
double-wishbone suspension in the rear. This combines with the sharp
steering feel of the VGR (variable gear ratio) and EPS (electric power
steering) to attain a level of performance handling one would expect
in a TYPE R.
- The suspension arm and hub bearing have been strengthened for higher
road-contact rigidity, resulting in improved handling response and linearity.
- Tension angles in the rear suspension's upper and lower arms have
been optimized. Hypothetical arm length has been extended, reducing
change in the rear roll-center height during roll. The suspension is
set to always maintain a front-down roll stance. This makes it easy
for the driver to understand the car's behavior, for an improved sense
of unity between man and machine.
- Employs torque-responsive helical limited-slip differential and 205/45R17
large-diameter tires. The front brakes incorporate 16-inch ventilated
disks, with master power assembly, piston configuration, bands, and
so on tuned to attain superb responsiveness with a minimum of brake
pressure. This firm, responsive brake feel helps increase driving pleasure.
- Honda's original G-CON (G-force Control) technology is incorporated
to create a new body with a crash safety design that is among the best
in the world, withstanding a 55km/h full-frontal collision, a 64km/h
front offset collision, 55km/h side collision, and a 50km/h rear collision.
- To further improve safety in real-world collisions, Honda has implemented
its own vehicle-to-vehicle collision testing program with its own independently
established standards*. This collision testing is much more demanding
than the conventional tests in which the car is crashed into a fixed
barrier. The Civic TYPE R's superior safety design meets even these
stringent testing requirements.
- The number of body sections designed to reduce pedestrian injury has
been increased to protect pedestrians' lower limbs as well as their
- The interior is designed to protect occupants' heads in a collision.
- An SRS dual front airbag system is standard equipment.
- ISO FIX compatible child seat anchoring bars (left and right rear
seats) are standard. Available as an optional attachment is an anchor
plate to which a tether belt can be fastened to secure the upper portion
of the child seat. This effectively prevents the seat from moving forward
in an accident.
||Test involves a 50% front offset collision with a 2-tonne class
vehicle, both vehicles traveling at 50km/h.
- Exhaust gas pollutants (HC, NOx) have been greatly reduced. The Civic
TYPE R has been recognized by the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure
and Transport as an ultra-low emissions vehicle, surpassing Ministry
regulations for exhaust emissions by over 50%.
- Almost all molded interior parts are made using olefin, a material
with superb recylability. In all, over 90%* of the entire vehicle is
||According to Honda's own computational formula.