Tokyo, May 25, 1999 --- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. introduced today the MonPal
ML100-a 4-wheel electric motor-driven wheelchair designed for those with
restricted walking capability and the physically disabled. The MonPal
ML100, which moves at a normal walking pace, will be made available nationwide
through Honda power product dealers and Honda motorcycle dealers on June
17, 1999. The MonPal ML100 is classified under "Wheelchairs for the Physically
Impaired" by Japan's road traffic regulations. Users of such vehicles
are regarded by law as "Pedestrians" and therefore do not require a driving
license. Wheelchairs may be driven on sidewalks and special public pathways,
as well as on the right side of roads that have no sidewalk. The MonPal
ML100 is an electric motor-driven, 4-wheeler equipped with handlebar-type
steering. This rearward tapering design is a key functional design element.
The MonPal ML100 also comes with large diameter rear tires, a fully supportive
seat and other features for safety and comfort. The electric motor system
was specially developed to provide slope-climbing capability and ensure
that drivers can negotiate hilly areas.
||: Available in Ocean Green and Ruby Red
|Domestic annual sales target
||: 2,000 units
|Manufacturer suggested domestic retail price
(excluding purchase tax)
|: 335,000 Yen
|Distinctive features of the MonPal
Controls and a Comfortable Ride
- Forward and reverse motions are easily controlled by a switch. The vehicle
is started by pressing down on a lever, and stopped by releasing this lever.
- Forward motion is continuously variable from 2-to-6 km/h; reverse motion is
fixed at 2 km/h. A large speed-control knob is provided for easy operation.
- A built-in battery charger allows for convenient battery charging by connection
to a regular household 100 V power outlet with cable and plug.
- Indicator lamps light or flash to alert the driver to warnings, protection,
fault diagnosis and other vehicle information. The battery power indicator includes
a buzzer to make sure the driver knows when battery power is low.
- The large-diameter, soft rear tires are designed to cushion shocks from bumps
and irregular road surfaces, and maintain a smooth and comfortable ride.
- The seat allows for easy mounting and dismounting, and provides ample support
and comfort for the hips and lower back.
- MonPal ML100 has a low, flat and wide floor with a mat that provides excellent
grip for safe and easy mounting and dismounting.
- The drive lever is installed in the optimal position for operation by elderly
drivers, and provides a comfortable operational feel during continuous driving.
- The drive lever is available in left- and right-hand configurations.
- The rear-wheel tread is narrow compared with that of the front to maintain
clearance from obstacles and prevent scraping and snagging (rearward tapering
- A speed limiter automatically restricts vehicle speed to 4 km/h if the driver
puts a sudden turn on the handlebars at above 4 km/h. This assures smooth deceleration
- If the driver needs to stop suddenly and grips the drive lever too hard instead
of releasing it, the vehicle automatically comes to an emergency stop. This contributes
substantially to the safety of the MonPal ML100.
- Good visibility in the dark is also a major feature of the ML100. The vehicle
is equipped with a large, wide-angle headlight, as well as big direction indicators
- The ML100 is prepared to handle careless operation of the drive lever, with
a system that prevents sudden start-off in the event of faulty drive lever operation.
- A warning buzzer sounds if the driver encounters a slope of more than 10-degrees.
- A large front basket is mounted on the vehicle body, providing space for baggage.
||4-wheel, electric-powered wheelchair
|Dimensions: Length x Width x Height
||1,190 x 680 x 1,080 (mm)
|Curb weight (batteries excluded)
||94 kg (62 kg)
|Motor (30-min rated output)
||DC 24 V 360 W x 1
|Batteries (rated at 5 hours between
||12 V 35 AH x 2 (sealed)
||Built-in microprocessor-controlled recharger
(with temperature compensator)
||Direct 2-rear-wheel drive system
||Dynamo braking-electromagnetic brake -
manually operated (mechanical) brake
||Front-wheel steering by handlebars
||Continuously variable control by drive lever
|Driver's seat dimensions
(width x depth x height of seat back)
|490 x 400 x 340 mm
||2-6km/h continuously variable
||2 km/h fixed speed
|Slope climbing capability
|Maximum continuous running distance
||25 km (6 km/h, flat road)
|Minimum turning radius
|Step height clearance capability
|Groove width clearance capability
|Maximum driver weight (including
||100 kg (including baggage)
- Performance values in the above table assume the use of new,
fully charged batteries, a driver's weight of 75 kg, and up
to 70% battery discharge.
- Basic performance complies with the JIS T9203 standard.
- The ML100 is compliant with the K98-6-type standard for traffic prescribed
by the Japan National Committee for Public Safety.
Honda Motor Co., Ltd., Power Product Operations, Domestic Sales Dept.
3-15-1 Sensui, Asaka City, Saitama Prefecture
TEL: 048 (468) 9010
FAX: 048 (468) 9016
The MonPal ML100 is scheduled to be exhibited at Welfare '99, the 2nd international
health and welfare industry exhibition to be held at the International Convention
Center in Nagoya from May 28 through May 30.