| Tokyo, April 23, 1998 --- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today introduced the CAPA, a new generation multi-wagon featuring a double-floor body structure, which offers a spacious cabin for up to five adults within compact external dimensions. It is powered by a fuel-efficient 1.5-liter engine matched to Honda's Multi Matic transmission for increased smoothness and efficiency. The CAPA will be made available nationwide through Honda's Primo and Verno dealer networks starting April 24, 1998.
Last year at the Tokyo Motor Show, Honda Motor introduced its "J-Mover" series based on the concept of "Small is Smart". The CAPA is the first production model of this series. The CAPA multi-wagon offers space, style and driving fun in a compact package designed to best suit city driving.
CAPA (C grade)
Starting from a "dual deck" concept separating passenger space ("human deck") from the mechanics ("mecha-deck"), a new body featuring a double floor was devised. This allowed for a flat floor design that not only contributes to a large interior space, but also provides for enhanced safety.
- Tall, roomy interior boasting a 1,750mm length, and 1,240mm height.
- Easy access thanks to large doors and high seat height.
- Extensive legroom and knee space thanks to a tandem distance (the distance between front and rear passengers) of up to 930mm.
- Front seat rails buried under the floor for a flat surface and two under-the-floor storage boxes located at the rear passengers' feet.
- "Multi-mode" rear seat with class-leading 250mm slide, 12-step recline, and 50:50 fold-down capability.
- Models equipped with the "utility kit" option also come with a folding front passenger seat for added convenience when carrying long objects.
- The overall grayish color scheme is enhanced by the exterior color-coordinated seat/door armrest upholstery in blue or beige overtones. Jersey is used in the C grade, and double-raschel in the D grade.
- A driver amenity box, coin holder and under-seat box (with utility kit factory option), are other examples of the abundant storage space available.
- Standard equipment includes an automatic air-conditioner for the D grade and a manual air-conditioner for the C grade.
- Easy-to-drive compact body (L: 3,775mm, W: 1,640mm, H: 1,650mm)
- Minimum turning radius of 4.8 meters.
- A rugged design with a trapezoidal form and extended glass area.
- Distinctive large multi-reflector headlights, prominent front grille, and large bumpers.
- Easy to operate tailgate with inner handle.
- UV-absorbent glass all round.
Principal factory options:
- Utility kit*
- Style kit**
- Navigation System
* Keyless entry, power folding door mirrors, passenger-side seatback table, seat under-box, driver seat height adjuster
** Alloy wheels, tinted glass
- 1.5-liter 16-valve engine developed to provide superior performance in the most frequently used engine speed ranges with a torque peak at a practical 3,500 rpm.
Maximum Power: 98PS/6,300 rpm
Maximum Torque: 13.6kgm/3,500rpm
- All models are equipped with Honda's computer-controlled Multi Matic transmission. The transmission's D range supports normal driving while the S range is best suited to swift driving. A switch is located on the steering column to allow the selection of one mode or the other without taking one's hands off the steering wheel.
- Low fuel consumption (14.8km/liter as measured according to the 10.15 mode test procedure)
- Reduced emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2).
- Improved catalytic converter performance for carbon monoxide (CO), hydrocarbons (HC), and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions reduced far below the level required by law. NOx emissions in particular meet the low emission vehicle standards set by the Tokyo Metropolitan region's seven local governments, the three prefectures of Kanagawa, Chiba, and Saitama and the three cities of Yokohama, Kawasaki and Chiba.
- The MacPherson strut-type front suspension and torsion beam-type three-link rigid rear suspension contribute to superior stability and ride performance.
- Front and rear stabilizer bars are standard with the front end adopting a ball-joint stabilizer link for even further stability.
- Engine noise was reduced at the source with the adoption of a crank pulley damper and a large capacity intake resonator, while a large capacity pre-chamber and silencer reduce exhaust noise in similar fashion.
- Noise and vibration levels in the cabin are reduced with the adoption of three engine mounting points, a double layer dashboard lower panel with sandwiched melt sheet structure, and optimized floor insulator location.
- An extensive glass area combines with a high driving position and high eye-point to give the driver a wide field of vision.
- Large multi-reflector headlights and large rear combination lights help with both seeing and being seen.
- The adoption of a double-floor structure allowed the inclusion of two straight cross-members and two longitudinal upper frame members under the front seats, providing world-leading protection from all sides.
- Front three-point ELR seatbelts with pre-tensioning and load limiting functions have been adopted as standard features throughout the series. In an accident, this seatbelt instantly tightens upon sensing an accident, restraining the passenger. Afterwards, the belt is gradually released automatically to prevent excessive pressure on the front passengers' upper torso.
- Driver-and passenger-side SRS airbags, as well as ABS are standard features.
Domestic monthly sales target: 6,000 units