|Tokyo, February 9, 1998 --- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has announced the launch of the new improved Honda Steed VLS and Honda Steed VLX American custom bikes, which will go on sale on March 16 and March 24, respectively. Both bikes boast a powerful 400cc 4-stroke V-twin engine. The VLX is the basic model, while the VLS features individually styled sprung front forks.
The improvements to the VLS include newly designed spring-type front forks,
a 21-inch diameter front wheel, and a flangeless fuel tank designed to accent
the bike's particularly characteristic style.
The new VLX model combines the best of the styling used in the two previous
models - the luxury VLX and the classic VCL. Thanks to changes in the suspension,
the ground clearance is now 10mm less, enhancing its long, low-slung, sleek lines.
The Steed series has been designed to appeal a wide range of bike lovers.
Honda Steed VLS
Honda Steed VLX
sales target: 6,500 units
Main features of the Steed series
- Liquid-cooled 4-cycle OHC V2 2-cylinder engine. Reassuringly powerful at low
and medium revs, these new engines employ a wider range of gear ratios than the
Special features of the Steed VLS:
- Specially designed chrome-plated spring-type front forks with a linked structure
combine with the 21-inch diameter front wheel to give an exceptionally smooth
ride, thanks to the bike's increased ability to absorb shocks from the road surface,
plus impressive styling.
- With the clearance reduced from 140 mm to 130 mm, and a seat height of just
650 mm, the new VLS is much more low-slung.
- A flangeless fuel tank design and small headlight unique to the VLS combine
to convey a sense of custom-made classic luxury.
- Three available body colors: Candy Phoenix Blue, Candy Red, and Black.
* VLS stands for V-twin Lowdown Sprung
Special features of the Steed VLX:
- Modified front and rear suspension have reduced clearance by 10mm compared
with previous models and brought the seat height down to just 670mm.
- Styling for this basic model of the new Steed series combines the elegance
and classic lines of the old VLX and VCL models.
- One body color option available: Classic Black.
|Length x width x height
||2.335 x 0.765 x 1.115
||2.310 x 0.760 x 1.115
|No. of riders
|Fuel economy (km/l) [60 km/h test
on flat ground]
|Minimum turning circle
||NC25E (liquid-cooled 4-cycle OHC 3-valve V2 2-cylinder)
|Maximum power output
|Maximum torque (kgm/rpm)
||full-transistor battery ignition
||forced pressure and wet sump
|Fuel tank capacity
|Drive ratios (primary/final)
|Caster (degrees)/trail (mm)