- ABS standard throughout the series.
- Tinted glass (rear window, rear side windows) on 3 door models, and UV-cut glass (all round) on 4 door models as standard equipment.
- Navigation system with newly added interconnection to the VICS road information system.
- New 14-inch wheels on 3 door VTi and 4 door Vi models.
- New wheel cap design on 3 door VTi, 4 door Vi and RTi models.
- 4 door Mi model with new rear seat including rear seat pillow and armrest.
Civic/Civic Ferio Series Monthly Domestic Sales Target: 5,000 units
Civic Type R
Civic Ferio LEV II
Civic Type R
Following in the steps of the NSX Type R and the Integra Type R, the popular and sporty Civic model served as the base for the development of the third member of the Type R family, the Civic Type R. As with the previous two models, the Civic Type R was again developed in the spirit of pure racing to provide the customer with the utmost in driving pleasure.
Main features of the Civic Type R
- Dynamic performance
A new high performance 1.6-liter DOHC VTEC engine boasting a maximum output of 185ps at 8,200 rpm (116ps/liter) was specifically developed for this Type R. Response, high engine speeds and superior acceleration were the main development themes of this new engine.
- new valvetrain allowing higher engine speeds.
- reduced engine friction.
- improved breathing.
- increased compression ratio.
- increased body rigidity and reduced overall weight.
Further stressing the natural characteristics of the Civic, a lower center of gravity and increased rolling resistance were combined to provide both superior maneuverability and stability.
- reduced body height for a lowered center of gravity.
- retuned suspension setting.
- torque-sensitive helical limited slip differential.
- over-sized disk brake rotors.
- increased body rigidity (performance rod etc.).
- sports tuned ABS system.
- Type R-specific Potenza RE010 performance tires.
- revised pedal layout for easier heel and toe.
Spartan yet tasteful exterior and interior design.
- aero-dynamic parts (front/rear underskirts and rear spoiler).
- Type R-specific 5-lug, 7-spoke alloy wheels.
- red reclinable Recaro bucket seats with coordinated interior design.
- sporty 368mm MOMO steering wheel with built-in SRS airbag (350mm steering wheel for option without SRS airbag).
- short stroke titanium shift knob.
- carbon-style meter panel.
- low frequency exhaust note.
Civic Ferio LEV and LEV II
The Civic Ferio LEV is now equipped with ABS and UV-cut glass all round at no additional cost to the customer for further increased value for money. At the same time a new Civic Ferio LEV II is also being introduced with, among other items, color-coded retractable electric door mirrors, automatic air-conditioner, key-less entry system, and manual height-adjustable driver seat as standard equipment.
Apart from gasoline-engined models, Honda has also been promoting vehicles using alternative energy sources like natural gas and electricity. The Honda LEV has been on sale since February 1997 as the first step in Honda's effort to promote this family of environment-friendly vehicles named "Honda Clean Air Vehicles".
|7-position electronically controlled 4-speed automatic transmission
|4-speed automatic transmission with torque converter lock-up
|2-way 4-speed automatic transmission with low-hold position
|Viscous coupling type limited slip differential
|Electric glass sunroof with tilt-up
|Navigation System (VICS interconnection + remote control unit)