|Tokyo, April 18, 1997 --- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. introduced its new "Life" mini vehicle today. It has an individualistic, stylish design and an excellent package for daily use. It also offers superb performance, with both driving stability and ride comfort. The Life will be sold through Honda Primo dealerships nationwide from April 27.
This vehicle is not only "easy to handle, functional, and economical", which
are advantages of mini vehicles, but also has a spacious cabin, with priority
given to driver and passenger comfort.
Excellent packaging was a development prerequisite. The luggage space was
designed to accommodate various user needs.
The Life has a highly rigid body, resulting in good performance, with excellent
driving stability and ride comfort.
The exterior design is friendly and stylish, and was designed with modern
styling and functionality in mind.
The Life sets a new standard for mini vehicles at a reasonable price. The
most up-to-date features are included. The Life has a driver-side SRS air bag,
heat-absorbing green glass that absorbs ultraviolet rays in all windows, an anti-bacterial
steering wheel, and an arm rest as standard equipment.
Monthly projected sales in Japan: 8,000 units.
Honda aimed to create a vehicle with new attributes over and above those of other
mini vehicles, i.e., being "easy to handle, functional, and economical".
As a result, the Honda Life has the following three new mini vehicle features.
- "Multi-utility" achieved through spacious cabin and luggage space.
- "Good driving performance" with both steering stability and ride comfort.
- Fun, tasteful, new "Styling"
- The overall height of the vehicle is 1,575mm(1), so the
cabin is spacious enough for four adults. Sufficient head clearance
and vertical side windows mean that passengers do not feel confined.
(1) The G and T types, which have a roof rail as standard
equipment, are 1635mm high.
- The hip point is high for optimum driving comfort and to make getting
in / out easy.
- The vehicle has a new two-way trunk lid mechanism. The 135(2)-liter
capacity increases to 167(2) liters when the lid is set at the lower
position, and tall luggage can be stored easily. If the lid is closed
at the height of the trunk garnish and the rear seat is folded, then
a 397-liter(2) luggage space is available.
(2) measured by Honda using the VDA method
- The basic frame consists of a rigid lower body and cabin. Honda aimed for
a style with a strong, reliable, solid feel, and a body with a friendly, high-quality
- The attractive front view was achieved via a large multi-reflector placed
high up and a large bumper grill.
- The vehicle, which has a large bumper and oblong combination lights in the
rear, is easily identified by cars behind.
- The large tailgate is operated using an easy to reach inner handle.
- A roof rail is installed, which can be used in various ways and complements
the stylish design.
- Eight body colors are available for all types.
- The driver's seat is large, square and 40mm wider than the passenger seat,
which makes it comfortable even during long-distance driving.
- The rear seat has a 200-mm-thick high-density cushion. A headrest
is attached to improve comfort.
- An armrest is installed in the driver's seat (in automatic models,
except for the B type) and at the center of the rear seat. The rear
seat is divided in the ratio 6 : 4 and can be reclined in nine stages.
When both the front and rear seats are reclined, sufficient space for
long items is available.
- A key-less entry system integrated with the interior light is installed as
standard equipment in the G and T types.
- Eight storage spaces are available, including a large-capacity glove box,
a driver's pocket, and a card & ticket holder thus improving the utility of
- An automatic air conditioner is installed in T type models as standard equipment,
which offers excellent cooling performance. The B and G types have manual air
conditioners as standard equipment.
- All windows in the G and T types are power windows, enabling drivers to open
/ close windows easily.
- The highly rigid I.5 BOX body has crumple zones at the front and back.
- The driving environment is driver-friendly with a high eye point and
large door mirrors.
- Visibility is guaranteed even at night thanks to large multi-reflector
- A driver-side SRS airbag is installed with all types as standard equipment.
An ABS (four-wheel anti-lock brake system) is available with all types
as an option.
- The rear seatbelt can be used to fix a child seat by adjusting its
length. No tools are necessary.
- The metal used in the catalyzer has been modified, thus reducing the
amount of NOx in the exhaust gas.
- All resin parts that weigh 100g or more have an identification number,
so that they can be easily categorized and recycled.
- The use of specified CFC materials in the manufacturing process has
been eliminated. In addition, non-asbestos materials are used for friction
surfaces, and no TCE (trichloroethane) is used in manufacturing the
bumpers. Other measures were also taken to reduce the use of materials
affecting the environment.
|Overall LxWxH (m)
|Track Front/Rear (m)
|Ground clearance (m)
|Minimum Turning Radius (m)
|60km/h Constant Speed *
||Rack & Pinion
||Hydraulic Servo-assisted solid discs
||Hydraulic Servo-assisted leading-trailing shoe drums
||McPherson struts/ Torsional beam
||Torsion bar (Front & Rear)
||155/70 R12 73S
||155/65 R13 73S
||Transversely-mounted water-cooled inline 3 cylinder
||SOHC belt-driven (Two intake valves and two exhaust
valves per cylinder)
|Bore x Stroke (mm)
||66.0 x 64.0
|Max. Horsepower (PS/rpm)
|Max. Torque (kgm/pm)
||Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
|Fuel tank (liters)
|Ratios 1st gear
* The value examined by the Ministry of Transport