- March 25, 2013
Bradl Fastest Honda As Rain Reduces Dry Track Time On Final Day Of Jerez MotoGP Test
The MotoGP teams and riders completed their winter testing at Jerez today and return to base to await the opening grand prix of the 2013 season, Qatar on April 7. The three day rain ravaged Jerez test left many riders unable to finalize the test programme they had set for the three days and will have to play catch-up in race practice at Qatar.
- Marc Márquez & Stefan Bradl
- Stefan Bradl
Fortunately for the majority of the Honda riders at Jerez they had enough dry track time to confirm or update the advances made in development at previous winter test sessions. Dani Pedrosa, Repsol Honda, did not take part in todays test the Spaniard was satisfied with the performance of his RC213V and had little to gain from testing on a wet day in Spain.
Stefan Bradl was the fastest Honda RC213V rider on the final day of the test breaking the 1m 40s barrier his LCR Honda posting a 1m 39.975s lap time on lap 20 of the 26 he completed. His time was just 0.464s behind fastest of the day Cal Crutchlow Tech3 Yamaha. Bradl spent the limited dry track time confirming machine set up decided upon yesterday before testing new tyres.
- Marc Márquez
- Alvaro Bautista
Marc Marquez spent his day trying to improve his riding lines at Jerez aboard a 1000cc machine and testing when the track was dry and was rewarded with fifth place on the final time sheet of the day. He felt it was a productive if short session as he was more consistent than he had been yesterday while trying to improve his line around the circuit.
GO & FUN Honda Gresini rider Alvaro Bautista was another to sit out the final day of testing and will have much work to do in free practice at Lodsail. Bautista also suffered a twisted knee in his crash of
yesterday that fractured two fingers of his left hand.
Bryan Staring was not too pleased to see more rain at Jerez today and found it difficult to motivate himself to test but he put in 41 laps while testing the general set up of the track on his Go&Fun Honda Gresini CRT machine. He set his fastest lap of the day at 1m 43.525s on lap 31. But Staring was not chasing a fast lap time his primary aim is to establish the best possible base line settings for his machine that will allow the team to build on and improve overall performance in every department.
- Stefan Bradl (LCR Honda MotoGP): 3rd. 1m 39.975s
- “Today we just had 1 and half hour of acceptable track conditions after this morning rain showers. We confirmed our bike set-up from yesterday, which made me more confident with the front tyre and we made a further step forward. Then for the remaining laps, we tested a new set of tyres to improve our lap time and we had a good result despite some traffic in the last part of the session. Although we had here tricky conditions in the last 3 days, I think we are ready for the first race in Qatar which is a race track that I like.”
- Marc Márquez(Repsol Honda Team): 5th. 1m 40.130s
- “It was dry and sunny this morning then at around 10.30 it began to rain quite heavily. We put in a some laps to understand a few things in these conditions as we had some problems in the wet on the first day, so this was helpful as we found some answers. Everybody was waiting for the track to dry out and although it was a little cold, the last hour was good. It was useful to test some things and I feel much better than yesterday, we made some improvements, especially in our consistency and with electronics. Now I will try to relax and prepare myself for Qatar, this has been a positive winter testing - much better than I expected!”
- Dani Pedrosa(Repsol Honda Team): Did not test.
- “This morning was sunny but by the time we got to the track the clouds had started to arrive. I was discussing the programme for the day with my team and it started to rain. We decided that we had nothing new to test in these conditions - even if it started to dry up this afternoon, and we are happy with the machine. On top of that, I felt the pain in my neck again yesterday and would prefer to rest it in time for Qatar. We've done a lot of testing this winter and now we are ready to go racing, I can't wait to start the season!”
- Bryan Staring (GO & FUN Honda Gresini): 20th. 1m 43.525s
- “I am not particularly happy today. In the morning the rain affected our work and after remaining idle for several hours at the box I got off the track for the race simulation particularly unmotivated. Also there were parts of the track with patches of moisture that I conveyed tranquility and thinking of little more than a week will begin my adventure in MotoGP World Championship did not want to make mistakes. So now my thoughts turned to Qatar for a "first" world for me particularly stimulating.”
- Alvaro Bautista, GO & FUN Honda Gresini: Did not test.