share this page
Formula One World Championship 2007
Round 07: United States GP
- June 17, 2007
Rubens is forced to retire, while Jenson comes home 12th
Honda Racing F1 Team
The Honda Racing F1 Team’s Jenson Button ended today’s United States Grand Prix in 12th position. His team-mate Rubens Barrichello’s race ended after a first corner incident in which he tried to avoid Ralf Schumacher’s spin and clashed with two other cars. Rubens came into the pits where the team retired him with a broken wishbone and push rod. The damage was too extensive to repair during the race.
- Jenson Button
- Rubens Barrichello
Jenson made a good get-away from 13th on the grid, but lost a few places at Turn 1 while avoiding the carnage from other cars. He dropped back to 19th, but overtook two cars before the end of the lap to be 17th in the early stages. He was in the middle of a Honda-engined train early on, behind Takuma Sato and ahead of Anthony Davidson. After a few laps they were joined by Giancarlo Fisichella, who was on a charge from the back of the grid. Jenson ran side-by-side for several corners with the Italian.
The remainder of the race unfolded with Jenson driving a typically faultless race on a one-stop strategy. He pulled a stunning overtaking manoeuvre on Scott Speed on lap 26, before making his only re-fuelling stop on lap 44. At his stop it was clear that he had sustained quite a lot of damage to the front of the car and the right-hand sidepod and flick-up, which compromised the aerodynamic performance of his car. The team then had a fuel rig pressure valve failure which cost him time in the pitlane and he also received too much fuel, causing him to run heavy in the second stint.
A late-race duel with Anthony Davidson kept his mirrors full and he crossed the line in 12th place.
The Honda Racing F1 Team now decamps to Jerez in Spain for an extremely important test session, where the team will try new aerodynamic and mechanical developments ahead of the next race, the French Grand Prix at Magny Cours.
- JENSON BUTTON
- "It was a fun race today but ultimately another disappointing afternoon for us. At the start I was on the outside and I was hit by Rubens, which damaged the front of my car along with the bodywork. That forced me across the grass and left me almost at the back of the field which was disappointing. Still it was a fun race with some good overtaking until my pit stop, when we had a problem with the fuel rig which cost me time and then I had about 15kg too much fuel in the car which compromised the rest of the race. We were just off the pace again and we now have a lot of work to do next week in Jerez to move our performance on."
- RUBENS BARRICHELLO
- "I think it was just an unlucky first corner racing incident today. I tried to avoid a spinning Ralf and unfortunately hit two cars, one of which was Jenson. The contact broke my front suspension and that was it for me today. Sadly Jenson’s car was damaged as well. We have an important test next week in Jerez, so the team just has to look forward now and focus on improving our performance for the rest of the season."
- JACKY EECKELAERT, Engineering Director
- "Rubens got a good start which allowed him to overtake Rosberg and get on equal terms with Ralf Schumacher. Unfortunately he was involved in a first corner incident which ended his race as the damage to his suspension was beyond repair. Jenson also lost five places in the same incident and sustained damage to the right hand side bodywork which compromised the aerodynamic performance of his car. Despite this he was able to make up six places before his pitstop. At the stop we had a pressure release valve failure on the fuel rig and switching to the second rig lost Jenson precious seconds in the pitlane. The midfield was very close so this lost Jenson three places. Both rigs delivered fuel at the stop so he was also running too heavy in the second stint which compromised his pace during the rest of the race."
SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM
SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM driver Anthony Davidson drove a fantastic race in the Indianapolis heat to take the chequered flag in 11th place, five positions higher than his starting grid position. Unfortunately for Takuma his race ended prematurely on lap 13, but the team is happy with its overall result and progress made over the 2007 US Grand Prix weekend.
- Anthony Davidson
- Takuma Sato
- ANTHONY DAVIDSON
- "It was an interesting race with the different speeds of cars on the straights and round the corners with differing wing levels. We opted to save the tyres by running a bit more wing and it was such hard work to try and close the gap and get a tow off the cars on the straight. There was a lot of overtaking, with a chaotic first corner and ‘marbles’ all over the place. It was a fantastic race and I had really good fun. I'm really pleased to finish another Grand Prix and it is a great result for the team and for Honda. It was a brilliant da."
- TAKUMA SATO
- "I had a difficult start to the race and as a result got overtaken by two cars. I avoided the incident at Turn One and lap by lap I overtook people and made up a number of positions. That was a good moment, but unfortunately, when I got clear air and I really needed to push, I got on the dirty side of the track and I went off at Turn Three. It wasn't a great day for me, but hopefully we can start again in Europe in a strong position."
- AGURI SUZUKI, Team Principal
- "This was always going to be a difficult weekend and a very demanding race for us. But Anthony did a good job today and Taku was just unlucky. Anthony's lap times were fast and consistent. Overall it was a demanding weekend for the team and we encountered a number of issues, but in the end Anthony and the team did an extremely good job."
Formula One World Championship
Round 07: United States GP
||L HAMILTON (McLaren-Mercedes)|
||F ALONSO (McLaren-Mercedes)|
||F MASSA (Ferrari)|
||K RAIKKONEN (Ferrari)|
||H KOVALAINEN (Renault)|
||J TRULLI (Toyota)|
||M WEBBER (Red Bull-Renault)|
||S VETTEL (BMW)|
||G FISICHELLA (Renault)|
||A WURZ (Williams-Toyota)|
||A DAVIDSON (SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM)|
||J BUTTON (Honda Racing F1 Team)|
||S SPEED (STR-Ferrari)|
||A SUTIL (Spyker-Ferrari)|
||C ALBERS (Spyker-Ferrari)|
||N ROSBERG (Williams-Toyota)|
||V LIUZZI (STR-Ferrari)|
||N HEIDFELD (BMW)|
||T SATO (SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM)|
||D COULTHARD (Red Bull-Renault)|
||R SCHUMACHER (Toyota)|
||R BARRICHELLO (Honda Racing F1 Team)|