share this page
Formula One World Championship 2006
Round 15: Italian GP
- September 9, 2006
Honda Racing F1 Team
The Honda Racing F1 Team’s Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello made it through to the final qualifying session in Monza today, in which they posted the 6th and 9th fastest laps respectively. They will line up on the 3rd and 5th rows of the grid for the start of tomorrow’s 53 lap Italian Grand Prix.
With both drivers feeling comfortable with the car’s long run pace this bodes well for tomorrow when the team will be targeting its third consecutive double points finish.
- Jenson Button
- Rubens Barrichello
- JENSON BUTTON
- Free Practice 3 Position: 12th
Session 1 14th
Session 2 7th
Session 3 - Grid Position: 6th Lap Time: 1:22.011
"I’m really pleased with how qualifying has gone today. We were a little bit apprehensive because we didn’t get to run any new tyres in free practice this morning and when I went out in qualifying one there was a red flag, so we still hadn’t run any new tyres by the end of that session. I got through Q1 and Q2 though and in Q3 the long run pace was very good, which bodes well for tomorrow. On one lap we still couldn’t get a strong lap out of the car until my last qualy run when I put it 6th on the grid. I’m happy. I got everything I could out of the car and the most important thing is that we know we are competitive for the race, so a similar story to Turkey really."
- RUBENS BARRICHELLO
- Free Practice 3 Position: 8th
Session 1 10th
Session 2 8th
Session 3 - Grid Position: 9th Lap Time: 1:22.787
"Qualifying went well today considering that I didn’t do any running on Friday, so a top ten finish with both cars is pretty good. Our race pace is good and I think we’re quite confident with the strategy, so I’m looking forward to tomorrow."
- GIL DE FERRAN, Sporting Director
- "Today was a much better day. Both cars ran well this morning and, as predicted, were handling well despite our lack of running so far this weekend. In qualifying both drivers did a great job to comfortably make it through to the last qualifying round and get the most out of the car in Q3. We suspect there are a variety of strategies at play for tomorrow with tyres and fuel. Our car is working well in race trim and we look forward to a good race."
SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM
SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM successfully completed its qualifying and race preparations during this morning’s Free Practice session. Unfortunately Sakon suffered a left rear tyre puncture during his first qualifying run this afternoon, but was able to bring his SA06 safely back to the pits.
- Takuma Sato
- Sakon Yamamoto
- TAKUMA SATO
- FP3 Position 21 Fastest Lap Time 1:24.549
Qualifying Grid Position 21 Fastest Lap Time 1:24.289
"It has been a disappointing day. We completed our test here last week and did everything we could, but the car has just not been quick enough this weekend. The team has worked really hard and I believe that we have got the best performance out of the car, so from that point of view I am satisfied, but we need to improve. Having said that the free practice session this morning was encouraging, the long run pace was strong and so I think that we shall have a better day tomorrow and should have a strong package for the race."
- SAKON YAMAMOTO
- FP3 Position 22 Fastest Lap Time 1:24.717
Qualifying Grid Position 22 Fastest Lap Time 1:26.001
"We completed a good preparation session for qualifying this morning, but unfortunately, on the second lap of my first run this afternoon, I got a puncture in my left rear tyre before Parabolica. It is disappointing as I could not go out for my second run, but still I am looking forward to tomorrow."
- AGURI SUZUKI, Team Principal
- "Unfortunately Sakon had a puncture during qualifying, but on the positive side Taku and his engineers did a good job today. We are now only 2.5 seconds off the pace of the leaders and are becoming more competitive as we close the gap. Although our qualifying positions remain the same, our car is improving and we have made reasonable progress since our testing here last week."
Formula One World Championship
Round 15: Italian GP
||K RAIKKONEN (McLaren-Mercedes)
||M SCHUMACHER (Ferrari)
||N HEIDFELD (Sauber-BMW)
||F MASSA (Ferrari)
||F ALONSO (Renault)
||J BUTTON (Honda Racing F1 Team)
||R KUBICA (Sauber-BMW)
||P DE LA ROSA (McLaren-Mercedes)
||R BARRICHELLO (Honda Racing F1 Team)
||G FISICHELLA (Renault)
||J TRULLI (Toyota)
||N ROSBERG (Williams-Cosworth)
||R SCHUMACHER (Toyota) - engine change
||D COULTHARD (RBR-Ferrari)
||S SPEED (STR-Cosworth)
||C KLIEN (RBR-Ferrari)
||V LIUZZI (STR-Cosworth)
||C ALBERS (MF1-Toyota) - engine change
||M WEBBER (Williams-Cosworth)
||T MONTEIRO (MF1-Toyota)
||T SATO (SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM)
||S YAMAMOTO (SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM)