share this page
Formula One World Championship 2006
Round 13: Hungarian GP
- August 5, 2006
Honda Racing F1 Team
The Honda Racing F1 Team’s Rubens Barrichello will line up on the second row of the grid for tomorrow’s Hungarian Grand Prix in Budapest after achieving the 3rd fastest time in this afternoon’s qualifying session.
Team-mate Jenson Button finished 4th on the timesheets in the final qualifying session, however he incurs an automatic ten place grid penalty following the engine change required in his RA106 race car after this morning’s free practice session.
With encouraging pace again shown from both cars throughout the weekend, and the strong performance in today’s qualifying session,
the team now hopes to carry this through to the race tomorrow and aim for a points finish from both cars.
- Rubens Barrichello
- Jenson Button
- RUBENS BARRICHELLO
- Free Practice 3 Position: 4th
Session 1 6th
Session 2 3rd
Session 3 - Final Position: 3rd Lap Time: 1:20.085
"Well I’m very pleased with our result today. It was a great effort to finish in third position and also important to be starting from the clean side of the grid. The whole Honda team have made a huge effort in the last few weeks to turn our performance around and that work and progress is starting to show now. The car is competitive, we look to be consistent on race pace and the driveability is improving. I also think that we have made a good choice on our tyres so it’s looking good all round. I’m hoping for a great race tomorrow, it’s certainly my best chance of the year to have a good result."
- JENSON BUTTON
- Free Practice 3 Position: 17th
Session 1 3rd
Session 2 4th
Session 3 - Final Position: 4th Lap Time: 1:20.092
"We put in a very strong performance in qualifying today. The car is working well and the pace has been developing all weekend. I started my final quick run with confidence that I could get up there into the top three, then I locked the brakes at the first corner and lost four-tenths of my best first sector, but was still able to come back and be in fourth. It’s very frustrating that I will be starting from 14th on the grid because of the engine failure this morning, even more so as the car is looking good. This is a hard circuit to overtake on but I’m going to go out there, enjoy the race and see what we can do."
- GIL DE FERRAN, Sporting Director
- "This was quite a good day for us with Rubens and Jenson qualifying 3rd and 4th fastest. During the morning session we continued to work hard to adapt our set-up to the unusual weather conditions. Unfortunately we had an engine failure with Jenson halfway through the session and as a result we incurred a ten place penalty; the cause of the problem is yet to be determined. Nevertheless both drivers were relatively happy with their cars both on new and old rubber, making us hopeful for qualifying. Qualifying went fairly well and we sailed through Q1 and Q2, then Q3 was nail biting and we came very close to the front row. Obviously we don't know what everyone's strategies are regarding tyres and fuel, furthermore Jenson will start 14th, however we are comfortable with our decisions and looking forward to a fighting race tomorrow."
SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM
SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM driver Takuma Sato set a solid qualifying lap time in the 1:22’s alongside the Williams F1 car of Nico Rosberg and the Scuderia Toro Rosso team. Sakon Yamamoto made an encouraging start to his Qualifying session setting a reasonable time - 1:24.016 - on his initial run.
- Takuma Sato
- Sakon Yamamoto
- TAKUMA SATO
- FP3 Position 18 Fastest Lap Time 1:24.847
Qualifying Grid Position 19 Fastest Lap Time 1:22.967
"We had a chassis problem during this morning’s practice session and lost some running time in addition to the red flag situation on the track. It was then difficult to make further progress during the session, but towards the end we made our tyre choice for tomorrow. For Qualifying I caught some traffic during my first run and it was not a particularly good lap. I also had to stop at the weigh bridge which lost us quite a bit of time and because of this we had to make a pitstop instead of returning in to the garage. Unfortunately this made the tyres cool down too much and I struggled with the warm up. But in the end we should be happy with what we achieved in terms of lap times today."
- SAKON YAMAMOTO
- FP3 Position 22 Fastest Lap Time 1:26.260
Qualifying Grid Position 22 Fastest Lap Time 1:24.016
"We analysed the data obtained from yesterday’s sessions and changed the car set-up for FP3. During the session we maintained consistent laps and everything seemed to be okay. I am a little bit disappointed with my Qualifying because I made a mistake on the second set of new tyres and I was not able to improve on my first run time. It is a shame, but I have learnt a lot from today and I will try not to make the same mistake during the next Qualifying in Turkey. The car set-up for tomorrow is comfortable so I am looking forward to what will essentially be my first race here in Hungary."
- AGURI SUZUKI, Team Principal
- "It has been a difficult day, although Taku and Sakon both did a good job and I am pleased with their performances. But the car is still not quick enough and we shall have to wait until the Turkish Grand Prix before we see our complete new car package. We still maintain a gap to our competitors so we will concentrate on developing the SA06 during the mid-season break. To help us to do this we need both SAF1 Team cars to finish tomorrow’s race so that we obtain more data, so I hope that we will have a good day here in Hungary."
Formula One World Championship
Round 13: Hungarian GP
||K RAIKKONEN (McLaren-Mercedes)
||F MASSA (Ferrari)
||R BARRICHELLO (Honda Racing F1 Team)
||J BUTTON (Honda Racing F1 Team)
||P DE LA ROSA (McLaren-Mercedes)
||M WEBBER (Williams-Cosworth)
||R SCHUMACHER (Toyota)
||G FISICHELLA (Renault)
||J TRULLI (Toyota)
||R KUBICA (Sauber-BMW)
||N HEIDFELD (Sauber-BMW)
||M SCHUMACHER (Ferrari)
||D COULTHARD (RBR-Ferrari)
||C KLIEN (RBR-Ferrari)
||F ALONSO (Renault)
||T MONTEIRO (MF1-Toyota)
||V LIUZZI (STR-Cosworth)
||N ROSBERG (Williams-Cosworth)
||T SATO (SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM)
||S SPEED (STR-Cosworth)
||C ALBERS (MF1-Toyota)
||S YAMAMOTO (SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM)