share this page
Formula One World Championship 2006
Round 11: French GP
- July 15, 2006
Honda Racing F1 Team
After a solid start to the weekend yesterday, the Honda Racing F1 Team endured a disappointing qualifying session in Magny Cours. With both drivers lacking grip and struggling with the pace of the car, Jenson Button could only finish 19th in the first session after encountering traffic on his quick run which held him up considerably. On the other side of the garage, Rubens made it through to the second session where he was unable to improve on his time, finishing in 14th position.
- Rubens Barrichello
- Jenson Button
- RUBENS BARRICHELLO
- Free Practice 3 Position: 20th
Session 1 15th
Session 2 - Final Position: 14th Lap Time: 1:17.027
"I had a little bit of traffic on section one of my last run but we’re just not quick enough. We maybe could have gone a little bit faster but not a lot and unfortunately that was the pace of the car today. We feel that we’re missing some grip in the middle of the corner, although actually the balance of the car itself is not so bad. On the long runs we seem to have a good pace so that is something for tomorrow, but we are starting so far back that it will be very tough to get a result from here."
- JENSON BUTTON
- Free Practice 3 Position: 6th
Session 1 - Final Position: 19th Lap Time: 1:17.495
"I had my run ruined by traffic today in the first session which is obviously very disappointing. Having said that, the car just wasn’t quick enough and we were not on the pace for the quick qualifying lap. It would have been nice to do two new tyre runs in the first session but we didn’t have time. It’s a shame because this is one of the circuits that I really enjoy but we’ll just have to see if we can fight our way through from the back and salvage something from the weekend."
- GIL DE FERRAN, Sporting Director
- "This isn't where we expected to be today and that's very frustrating. After this morning’s session we were hopeful to be in the top ten. However Jenson was plagued with traffic in Q1 and we just couldn't make the cut with Rubens in Q2. We lacked the pace with both cars to be at the sharp end of the fight today. Nevertheless we will do our best tomorrow and try to come away with some points."
SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM
It was a successful day for the SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM. A mechanical problem during the third Free Practice session unfortunately hindered Takuma’s performance during Qualifying, however in the afternoon Franck, who was running a different strategy to Taku, achieved his best Qualifying performance and out-qualified his team-mate at the very last minute of the first Qualifying session by two tenths of a second.
- Franck Montagny
- Takuma Sato
- FRANCK MONTAGNY
- FP3 Position 21 Fastest Lap Time 1:19.497
QUALIFYING Grid Position 21 Fastest Lap Time 1:18.637
"It was a good Qualifying session because this morning I was quite happy about the changes the guys had made to the set-up of the car. The car reacted quite okay to the changes this afternoon and for the first time I could beat my team mate and I am happy with that, especially as it is here at my home grand prix in France. So far the car is performing well, so I hope it's going to continue and I will try my best for the race tomorrow."
- TAKUMA SATO
- FP3 Position 22 Fastest Lap Time 1:21.497
QUALIFYING Grid Position 22 Fastest Lap Time 1:18.845
"We had a difficult start as we suffered with a mechanical problem this morning which meant that I lost a lot of time during the practice session and I was unable to run the prepared set-up from yesterday. In Qualifying I think that we came back well, but I suffered a little bit with low grip, but I believe that I have a strong overall package for the race tomorrow."
- AGURI SUZUKI, Team Principal
- "It was a good day today. Taku's car had a small problem this morning, but there were no problems for us during Qualifying and the fastest times of our cars are very close together. I am happy that we are closing the gap and that there is only a one-second gap between us and our nearest competitors. We are still in our original car, so this bodes well for the next Grand Prix when we shall be introducing the SA06. Tomorrow we need to finish the race with both cars and I especially hope that Franck sees the chequered flag at his home race, which would be very special for him and the team."
Formula One World Championship
Round 11: French GP
||M SCHUMACHER (Ferrari)
||F MASSA (Ferrari)
||F ALONSO (Renault)
||J TRULLI (Toyota)
||R SCHUMACHER (Toyota)
||K RAIKKONEN (McLaren-Mercedes)
||G FISICHELLA (Renault)
||P DE LA ROSA (McLaren-Mercedes)
||N ROSBERG (Williams-Cosworth)
||D COULTHARD (RBR-Ferrari)
||M WEBBER (Williams-Cosworth)
||N HEIDFELD (Sauber-BMW)
||C KLIEN (RBR-Ferrari)
||R BARRICHELLO (Honda Racing F1 Team)
||S SPEED (STR-Cosworth)
||C ALBERS (MF1-Toyota)
||V LIUZZI (STR-Cosworth)
||J VILLENEUVE (Sauber-BMW)
||J BUTTON (Honda Racing F1 Team)
||T MONTEIRO (MF1-Toyota)
||F MONTAGNY (SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM)
||T SATO (SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM)