share this page
Formula One World Championship 2006
Round 08: British GP
- June 10, 2006
Honda Racing F1 Team
Rubens Barrichello will start tomorrow’s British Grand Prix from the 3rd row of the grid after posting the 6th fastest time for the Honda Racing F1 Team in today’s qualifying session. On the other side of the garage, British hero Jenson Button had his hopes of qualifying well in front of his home crowd shattered when he was not fast enough on his first run and a call to the weighbridge left insufficient time for a second run.
- Rubens Barrichello
- Jenson Button
- RUBENS BARRICHELLO
- Free Practice 3 Position: 7th
Session 1 15th
Session 2 9th
Session 3 - Final Position: 6th Lap Time: 1:20.943
"We achieved our target this afternoon which was to put the car in the top six. By the end of the session, we saw that it was very close at the front and we could perhaps have achieved a little bit more and finished 5th. Overall though I'm happy. I'm truly disappointed for Jenson because of his situation and everyone knows that he should have been up there with me as well. I love to race here so I’m looking forward to tomorrow now. It should be a good race."
- JENSON BUTTON
- Free Practice 3 Position: 11th
Session 1 - Final Position: 19th Lap Time: 1:23.247
"I’m obviously massively disappointed for myself, the team and all of the fans. My first run wasn't quick enough because we had quite low grip. If the car isn't working well on the first run, you don't want to push it to the limit because the penalty for going off the track and not completing a lap is so high. The circuit was improving massively all the time and we thought we would get a second chance to do a run, but then I got called on to the weighbridge and that effectively finished my session. Everyone wants to do well in their home race and I could have done so much better today, but I believe that points are possible and I’ll be doing everything I can to get back up there tomorrow."
- GIL DE FERRAN, Sporting Director
- "We have mixed feelings about today. On the one hand we are happy with Rubens’ qualifying effort; there were some anxious moments at the end of Q1 and Q2, but in the end Rubens did a fantastic job and got everything possible out of the car. With regard to Jenson, we are all terribly disappointed about what happened. In summary, his first run wasn't quick enough and when he got called to the scales it was impossible for him to complete another run. Clearly both cars are much closer in pace than their final qualifying positions would indicate, therefore we look forward to a hard-fought race with both Rubens and Jenson in front of the British crowd."
- SHUHEI NAKAMOTO, Management Board Member - Honda Racing F1 Team, Engineering Director - Honda Racing Development
- "We cannot be satisfied with today's performance. Rubens showed the potential of the car and did a good job to get the car on the third row but we are obviously disappointed with Jenson's position. We must improve and race hard tomorrow."
SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM
The morning’s Free Practice Session ended prematurely for the SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM when both Takuma Sato and Franck Montagny visited the gravel off-track. Takuma drove the third car (chassis SA05-01) in the afternoon as the damage to his race car could not be repaired in time for the beginning of the Qualifying session.
- Takuma Sato
- Franck Montagny
- TAKUMA SATO
- FP3 Position 21 Fastest Lap Time 1:27.525
QUALIFYING Grid Position 20 Fastest Lap Time 1:26.158
"It was a very hard day. During the practice session I lost it at the high-speed Beckett’s corner and suffered some quite serious damage to the car. It is disappointing because we had to change to the T-car, taking a ‘change of engine’ penalty too. We had very little time to prepare the T-car for Qualifying, but the boys did a great job to get it ready in time. The Qualifying session was difficult because we had not completed the set-up program in the morning and had to apply the set-up to a different chassis, so the car had nervous handling. Considering what happened today I am reasonably happy with our final result, but it will be a tough race for us tomorrow."
- FRANCK MONTAGNY
- FP3 Position 20 Fastest Lap Time 1:27.229
QUALIFYING Grid Position 21 Fastest Lap Time 1:26.316
"We had a few problems this morning and I also went off the track as I was pushing the car to the limit, so not a great practice session. The Qualifying session was not too bad; we found what we were looking for and I am quite happy with my lap. For sure we are a lot slower than the rest of the grid, but with the new car it will get better."
- AGURI SUZUKI, Team Principal
- "It was unfortunate that Taku went off the track and hit the barrier in the morning which meant that we had to run with the T-car for Qualifying. Franck also left the tarmac, so we could complete our testing of the Qualifying set-ups for both cars; today was a very chaotic day. Silverstone is a high-speed circuit and the differences between the F1 cars’ performances will become very clear and it will also be another very tough race for us. We will concentrate on our original goal - to have both cars finish the race tomorrow."
Formula One World Championship
Round 08: British GP
||F ALONSO (Renault)
||K RAIKKONEN (McLaren-Mercedes)
||M SCHUMACHER (Ferrari)
||F MASSA (Ferrari)
||G FISICHELLA (Renault)
||R BARRICHELLO (Honda Racing F1 Team)
||R SCHUMACHER (Toyota)
||JP MONTOYA (McLaren-Mercedes)
||N HEIDFELD (Sauber-BMW)
||J VILLENEUVE (Sauber-BMW)
||D COULTHARD (RBR-Ferrari)
||N ROSBERG (Williams-Cosworth)
||V LIUZZI (STR-Cosworth)
||C KLIEN (RBR-Ferrari)
||S SPEED (STR-Cosworth)
||T MONTEIRO (MF1-Toyota)
||M WEBBER (Williams-Cosworth)
||C ALBERS (MF1-Toyota)
||J BUTTON (Honda Racing F1 Team)
||T SATO (SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM)
||F MONTAGNY (SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM)
||J TRULLI (Toyota)