share this page
Formula One World Championship 2006
Round 05: European GP
- May 6, 2006
Honda Racing F1 Team
The Honda Racing F1 Team will start tomorrow's European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring in Germany from the second and third rows of the grid after a strong performance in this afternoon's qualifying session. Rubens Barrichello will line-up in 4th position for the 59-lap race whilst his team-mate Jenson Button will start directly behind him after posting the 6th fastest lap.
Both drivers enjoyed a productive morning's free practice running, working on long run performance for the race. This afternoon, both drivers continued to battle against the low-grip conditions but the Honda Racing F1 Team were one of only three teams to get both drivers through the first two knock-out sessions and one of only two teams to end qualifying with both drivers in the top six.
- Rubens Barrichello
- Jenson Button
- RUBENS BARRICHELLO
- Free Practice 3 Position: 13th
Session 1 9th
Session 2 4th
Session 3 - Final Position: 4th Lap Time: 1:30.754
"I'm very pleased with 4th place on the grid. It's another demonstration of how good the car and the team is and that we are making real progress. We now just have to keep our feet on the ground and focus on the race because I think we have a good strategy and we have shown good pace in free practice this morning. I'm looking forward to it."
- JENSON BUTTON
- Free Practice 3 Position: 7th
Session 1 4th
Session 2 8th
Session 3 - Final Position: 6th Lap Time: 1:30.940
"I couldn't get a good balance, which is pretty normal for me around here! The car just didn't feel good so I wasn't feeling comfortable. I locked up in turn one which didn't help my last lap time, but it didn't cost much; it probably wouldn't even have been a place. I think we showed this morning that our race pace is there and we found a nice balance for the long runs, so we'll just have to wait and see what the race brings."
- GIL DE FERRAN, Sporting Director
- "Both drivers sailed through Q1 but Q2 was a bit tighter, especially for Jenson. As a result, we were forced to do two runs to make sure he got into Q3. Once that mission was accomplished, we focused on making sure traffic wasn't going to play a part in Jenson and Rubens' fast laps. Rubens did a great job in Q2 and carried that speed over to Q3 placing him well for the start. Jenson was less happy with his car during the whole of qualifying but still managed to end up in the top six. As usual it is difficult to say what strategy everyone is on, but we feel we are in a good position going into the race."
- SHUHEI NAKAMOTO, Management Board Member - Honda Racing F1 Team, Engineering Director - Honda Racing Development
- "We have had a good day - we improved the car throughout the morning and we did a good job in the qualifying session. Both drivers are well positioned to have a strong race tomorrow."
SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM
The morning's free practice session hailed mixed fortunes for the SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM. Takuma Sato encountered a brake related issue, whilst Franck Montagny was able to find a reasonable set-up for his SA05. However, during the first session of Qualifying in the afternoon 'timing problems' and a Red Flag red herring caused confusion along the pit lane and out on the race track.
- Takuma Sato
- Franck Montagny
- TAKUMA SATO
- FP3 Position 22 Fastest Lap Time 1:36.082
QUALIFYING Grid Position 21 Fastest Lap Time 1:35.239
"We had a difficult start to the morning. We needed a lot of work to improve the balance of the car, but then as we suffered a brake related issue which required some time to investigate we were unable to complete the running we needed. The guys did a good job in solving this problem and we made a set-up change, then I was happier with the car balance for Qualifying. It is a shame that there was some confusion about the Red Flag situation during my second Qualifying attack, but I am feeling positive about tomorrow's race."
- FRANCK MONTAGNY
- FP3 Position 21 Fastest Lap Time 1:35.706
QUALIFYING Grid Position 22 Fastest Lap Time 1:46.505
"During the practice session this morning we found quite a good set-up for the car and continued with it in the afternoon, making only a small modification. But we encountered many problems during the Qualifying session. Firstly, when I had to stop at the FIA weight scales, there was a problem with the starter so during this time my tires were out of the blankets and were getting cold. When I re-started and put on new tires five minutes later, the red flag situation came up, so I could not make a lap time. It is a little disappointing as this was my first Qualifying with the team, but there were no major problems with the car and I am looking forward to the race tomorrow."
- AGURI SUZUKI, Team Principal
- "It was a very frustrating qualifying session and it felt like it ended before we could actually start. The red flag was out when we needed to go out at the end of first 15 minutes and Franck and Taku couldn't really have a good attack. Taku went out with a new set of tires and when he was ready to make his quick lap with the second set, the red flag was out. As both SAF1 Team cars did not finish in Imola I hope that we will have another two-car finish in the race tomorrow."
Formula One World Championship
Round 05: European GP
||F ALONSO (Renault)
||M SCHUMACHER (Ferrari)
||F MASSA (Ferrari)
||R BARRICHELLO (Honda Racing F1 Team)
||K RAIKKONEN (McLaren-Mercedes)
||J BUTTON (Honda Racing F1 Team)
||J TRULLI (Toyota)
||J VILLENEUVE (Sauber-BMW)
||JP MONTOYA (McLaren-Mercedes)
||M WEBBER (Williams-Cosworth)
||R SCHUMACHER (Toyota)
||N ROSBERG (Williams-Cosworth)
||G FISICHELLA (Renault)
||D COULTHARD (RBR-Ferrari)
||N HEIDFELD (Sauber-BMW)
||V LIUZZI (STR-Cosworth)
||C KLIEN (RBR-Ferrari)
||C ALBERS (MF1-Toyota)
||S SPEED (STR-Cosworth)
||T MONTEIRO (MF1-Toyota)
||T SATO (SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM)
||F MONTAGNY (SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM)